Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Code Signing?

A topic by Banbeck created Mar 04, 2021 Views: 350 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Jam JudgeSubmitted (1 edit)

Do people traditionally code sign their entries to avoid the ominous warnings about unsigned code? If so how do others sign their code?

Hi,
The easiest way to avoid the warnings from OS is to release a web version as your game's main version (with most common game engines this is also very easy to do).
In fact web version is the recommended way to release a jam game since it allow far more players to play your game.

Jam JudgeSubmitted

That is a very good point! Unfortunately, I have chose to use python for various reasons (experience with language, speed to prototype, etc) and as far as I can tell there is no easy way to turn it into a web based form.

(2 edits)

Actually Godot (the engine I prefer for game dev) use a very very python like scripting language.
Maybe in a future game you could try it. It has one of the easiest web export that I have seen.
In fact I use the web export in jams during development so other not technical members of the team (artists, sound designers) can easily see their art/audio in game.

Jam JudgeSubmitted(+1)

Oh cool! I will definitely check it out!

Submitted

Installing a game through the itch.io app means signing isn't necessary. (Wish I could find a better link than that.) But of course that depends on the player having already installed the app before installing your game, so, yeah, target a web version if you can.

Jam JudgeSubmitted

Ok, thanks! Didn't know that was an option.

Generally I don't think I ever saw someone sign a game jam game. It's mostly understood that the warnings just happen for exe files.