Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Can I make an RPG Clasic that includes a bit of graphic adventure?

A topic by NeosHunter created Sep 03, 2022 Views: 164 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted

Hello, I wanted to ask if a classic RPG (level up, farming, kill bosses) would count as an adventure game? obvious including its history and outcome of this

Jam Judge

I'd say it's borderline. I've seen games that were set up as RPGs but still had mostly adventure game elements, but if the game is mainly RPG then... well, then it's an RPG.

One important feature of adventure games is that it's mostly deterministic. If you do the right thing, there will be an advancement. RPGs have a layer of randomness that usually have you lose a battle even if you technically did something wrong, and this isn't generally accepted by adventure gamers.

A way of integrating RPGs and adventure games would be giving more weight to items than stats. Like, have a boss battle that isn't winnable if you don't have a particular item which you acquire not through leveling up but through puzzle solving, having battles as a completely optional way of overcoming an obstacle (the Indiana Jones adventure games have this, for example - you can outsmart enemies, and if you fail you can still fight them or run away).

Submitted

ok, I look forward to the start of the jam and see what I can do xD