How do I report crashing bugs?
Go to your MidBoss folder, this will be under Documents\MidBoss on Windows. Locate any files called "save.zip", "crash.log", and "crash_unhandled.log". Email these three files to firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of the problem. If the problem can be consistently reproduced by reloading the game and taking a certain action, please mention this as well.
Do you have a Discord?
Yes we sure do! Drop by and say hello.
I have a passive bonus from an ability I haven't learned yet
This would be the innate ability of the form you're currently in. Innate abilities apply automatically in that form. They also apply automatically when the form is mastered and equipped to the imp.
How do I import death cards?
There's a few ways to import cards:
- Drag and drop the image from your browser onto the game (won't work on all system configurations)
- Right click the image and click 'copy image address' or 'copy image url', then switch back to the game window
- Download the image to a file, then drag and drop that file onto the game window
What key do I use to throw things?
The Throw ability can be learned by accumulating form experience while in imp form, after learning the ability it can be used like any other ability.
How do I make a shortcut to throw an item?
After learning the Throw ability drag the item onto the item shortcut bar, and a pop up will appear. Selecting "Throw item" will create a throwing shortcut, indicated by the hand icon at the top right of the shortcut.
If the game is crashing please check the technical issues for specific issues that might be affecting you, or follow the instructions here for general troubleshooting, checking to see if your problem has been resolved after each step.
- Run the game again if it crashes on startup
- Restart your computer
- Locate MidBoss.exe on your computer. Right click it and select "Create shortcut". Right click "MidBoss.exe - Shortcut" and select properties. Under the Shortcut tab at the end of the Target text box add "-novsync", and run the game via the shortcut. If this does not work, change it to "-nomusic".
- Update your video drivers
- Uninstall and reinstall MidBoss entirely, removing any files in your Documents\MidBoss folder
- If you have anti-virus installed try whitelisting MidBoss or disabling your anti-virus
Avast Antivirus: crash when starting a new game
This is apparently a new issue (as of November 24th) with Avast Antivirus. We believe specifically it's the File System Shield service. Please whitelist MidBoss and add the Documents\MidBoss folder as an exclusion to the File System Shield service. We will be working with Avast to resolve this issue and provide more detailed whitelisting instructions.
Death cards only show text over flame, game crashes when trying to save
This is probably an issue with your display drivers, especially if your GPU is a Geforce GTX 1070. Please update your display drivers to the most recent version.
Black screen on startup, no crash, but I can hear music and see the version number
This is probably an issue with your display drivers, please update your display drivers to the most recent version.
The game crashes if I click on any menus on the titlescreen, and I am using a Radeon graphics card
Try updating your video drivers, particularly if you're using an AMD Radeon R7 Series / HD 9000 Series card with driver version 18.5.x. Don't forget to restart your computer.
I have massive FPS drops on the main menu which don't go away in game
This may be a conflict with third party graphics software, particularly the Razer Cortex software. If you have Razer Cortex software installed disable the FPS counter, or disable or uninstall the software entirely.
The game doesn't start when I run it (no crash)
This may be an issue with your anti-virus software, particularly Avast. If this happens please try the following potential solutions:
- Restart the itch app
- Restart your computer (and the itch app)
- Close the itch app and restart it by right clicking on the shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator"
This may also be caused by an incompatibility in the SATA AHCI controller on Windows 10 systems, particularly those upgraded from an earlier version of Windows. For information on this issue see 'The game doesn't start or crash and it's not my anti-virus' below.
Game closes suddenly / closes without a crash during or after intro
This is an issue with your anti-virus software, particularly Kaspersky AV. Please check this thread with workarounds specific to this issue and Kaspersky. We are trying to contact Kaspersky to get this issue resolved.
The game doesn't start or crash and it's not my anti-virus
If you've tried the steps to make MidBoss work with your antivirus and you're running Windows 10, the cause may be a rare incompatibility in some SATA AHCI controllers, especially on systems that were upgraded to Windows 10 from an earlier version.
To fix this follow these steps:
- Open the Control Panel
- Open 'Hardware and Sound'
- Select 'Device Manager' under the 'Devices and Printers' heading
- Expand the 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' item
- Select the controller with 'SATA AHCI' in its name. To verify that you've selected the right controller, right-click the controller, select 'Properties', click the 'Driver' tab, and click 'Driver Details'. Verify that iastor.sys (or iastora.sys) is a listed driver, and click OK.
- From the 'Driver' tab, select 'Update Driver'.
- Select 'Browse my computer for driver software'.
- Select 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.
- Select 'Standard SATA AHCI Controller'
- Click 'Next', then 'Close', and then restart your computer.
Game crashes on load
Please locate the 'crash.log' file and post it in the forum, send it to email@example.com, or post it in the support channel of our Discord. User files can be found under Documents\MidBoss on Windows.
Additionally some fixes to common problems can be found below:
The type initializer for 'System.Console' threw an exception. (Ubuntu/Linux)
Please set the TERM environment variable when running the game (export TERM=xterm)
arguments to dbus_type_is_basic() were incorrect (Ubuntu/Linux)
Delete the "lib64/libSDL2-2.0.so.0" file and run the game again to see if your issue is resolved.
I hear music right before the game crashes
This may be an issue with vsync and your GPU, especially on AMD GPUs. Try running the game with the command line option '-novsync' to disable vsync, and leave it off.
To do this right click the game in your library, select 'Properties', then click 'Set launch options'. In the text field put '-novsync' without quotes, then click OK and close.
Unable to load DLL 'soft_oal.dll'
Make sure the file is present in the game directory and verify your files if not. If this doesn't work, try running the game with the -nomusic command line argument.
Try rebooting your system. If this doesn't work, try running the game with the -nomusic command line argument.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at System.Linq.Expressions.Compiler.LambdaCompiler.EmitLambdaBody(CompilerScope parent, Boolean inlined, CompilationFlags flags)
This may be an issue with your graphics card drivers if using a Radeon graphics card, particularly AMD Radeon R7 Series / HD 9000 Series with driver version 18.5.x. Update your drivers and restart your computer.
I'm using a laptop with an Intel integrated graphics chip and an AMD/Nvidia GPU
Your system may be trying to run MidBoss on your integrated graphics rather than on your GPU. Please follow the guide that matches your GPU (AMD or Nvidia).
- Go to the NVIDIA Control Panel by right clicking on your desk top and clicking on "NVIDIA Control Panel".
- In the default screen that pops up (it should be "manage 3D settings", and the "Program Settings" tab should be automatically selected), under "1. Select a program to customize:" hit the "Add" button.
- From here, navigate to the folder where you installed MidBoss.
- Select MidBoss.exe and click open.
- Then, under "2. Select the preferred graphics processor for this program:" open the drop-down menu and select "High-performance NVIDIA processor".
- Finally, hit apply in the far bottom right corner.
- Restart the itch app and/or your computer if necessary.
(NOTE: The process for AMD GPUs may vary.)
- Go to Graphics > PowerPlay - Set Plugged In and Battery to Maximum Performance. Click Apply.
- If applicable to your graphics card, go to Graphics > 3D and move the slider across to Performance so it is set for Optimal Performance. Click Apply.
- Find the Switchable Graphics tab in your Catalyst Control Center if present, and navigate to the folder where you installed MidBoss. Locate MidBoss.exe, and set it to High Performance. Click Apply.
- Restart the itch app and/or your computer if necessary.