Hi, I just thought I'd share a little something I made the other day using pixelcnc:
This was roughed out using a 1/4" endmill and a horizontal milling operation and then finished using a 1/16" ballnose with a parallel carving operation. I did some sanding, steel-wooling, scotch-briting, and painting with two different paints and still couldn't get the effect I was going for, sort of a worn metallic look. I also sanded too much so some of the most protruding edges have actually had the paint completely sanded off of them. Eeek!
The toolpath looked really good in pixelcnc and the simulation mode but I made a mistake using the mixed cutting direction to save time. My machine has a huge amount of flex so anything that is cut with mixed direction along the X axis ends up looking a bit "ridgey". Maybe a smaller step size would help a bit but using conventional or climb cut direction I am sure would have resulted in a smoother surface and cost longer runtime so the tool could retract to return to the starting side of the cuts.
I'm currently looking to rebuild my CNCs mechanical parts to remedy the lack of rigidity but it looks like it's going to be a pretty penny to do that so who knows when I'll get around to doing that. Thank you for pixelcnc :)