My team did a deep-dive on Itch.io API and PWA . And it looks like PWA is potentially HUGE for Itch.io.
PWA was recently in progress in Safari iOS and we see "Add to Homescreen" working in latest update.
Itch.io could be 1st and best in class. Please consider minor API REDIRECT to create new delivery category.
1) Many Itch.io App Icons on User Homescreen.
2) BONUS: PWA gives Itch.io parity with App Stores.
3) PROOF-OF-PURCHASE for HTML5 Apps.
On purchase - a REDIRECT to Itch.io PWA page (similar to HTML), just add: KEY param for Server Auth, on ok, REDIRECT to PWA URL, and trigger INSTALL prompt on load. That’s it!
(also user error handling)
DESIRED SEQUENCE (in more detail):
- In Embed > New “BUY APP” button > Pay > Success window.
- In Success Window: “OPEN APP” button > 1) REDIRECT to Itch PWA URL with KEY param.
- Server API confirms KEY, against PWA URL, and user_id (proof-of-purchase OR no access by server);
- Success Auth > serves PWA 200 > Else error redirect 304.
- Show PWA install CONFIRM PROMPT on PWA load.
> Meaning: after Manifest is validated, as “beforeinstallprompt” fires > immediately call .prompt()
We see the result of that as pretty powerful for STREAMING EPISODIC CONTENT (later).
Above all: Itch.io apps all on the “Homescreen” – one tap away from “frictionless”
We want to make Long-Running EPICS and stream ADVENTURE EPISODES, in this way, through PWA and Itch.io.
We think PWA makes Itch.io the best platform.
What do you think? : )