Please use this thread to post tips or strategies you find or to ask for tips and strategies for particular items or characters.
1) Learn how to maneuver! Tap A while moving to Dash quickly. Tap A while not moving to Jump straight up. Hold A while moving to Leap. Dashing gets you out of sticky situations. Jumping can dodge attacks while getting you on high ground. And Leaping helps you cross gaps or escape to high ground that's far away.
2) Vary your attacks! Depending on how you move, your weapons might have different uses. The Knights Sword has a straight attack while moving, a forehand/backhand swing combo on neutral, and an overhead from the air. The straight attack is good for footsies and keeping distance; the swing combo will help you in close; and the overhead deals a lot of damage while getting over shields.
3) When you have a side-shield, move counterclockwise around your enemy to keep your shield in the right spot to catch errant pokes. You should tweak your angle of attack based on your opponent's attacks. When your opponent uses forehand swings (like the Battle Axe's tilt attack), facing directly towards your enemy will keep your side shield in the right position to protect you from damage. Evading an enemy that uses backhand swings is super easy because your shield will face the correct side on escape.
4) Consider how much turning your attacks have. Different attacks trigger different angles of turn on activation. The Shortbow on the ground won't turn very well, but from the air you can turn 180* and shoot in any direction.
5) The Air Is Dangerous! Air attacks are generally strong or tricky. An opponent with throwables can throw accurately at short range from the air. You can dodge attacks by getting into the air, but your position is going to be fairly predictable.