Quick update today to resolve a bug that sometimes caused farmers to stop planting and harvesting crops.
Recent community posts
Alpha 0.8.13 includes a couple of quick bug fixes. I'm still working on the Big Update but I wanted to get these in right away.
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused shopkeepers to have empty shop lists
- Changed the "Strange Activity" quest to use only one Townsperson to remove a case where one NPC would get two quests
Today's build includes a bunch of bug fixes and some better messaging for when your inventory is full or the storehouse is full.
Alpha 0.8.10 includes:
- Stamina will no longer go negative from doing a dash attack
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the character to get stuck after trying to do a dash attack
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused a tutorial quest to complete before the requirements were met
- The NPC's home that you need to search in the "Noises" quest will now correctly display in the quest text
- Fixed some collider bugs in the Ruins
- You will now get a message letting you know the Storehouse is full if you attempt to drop off wood and the Storehouse cannot hold anymore
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused dungeons to spawn less monsters than they should
- Removed collision from falling trees
- You will now get a message that your inventory is full when attempting to loot an item if you cannot carry it
- Fixed a few UI scaling issues
- Turned off holiday content (except crafted Holiday Trees!)
Alpha 0.8.7 includes a big buff to healing potions that increases the amount of hit points restored from all levels of heal potions. The heal potions in your inventory and hotbar will update automatically, however any heal potions in storage will not. To update those, drag them into your inventory and then save and reload the game.
Build 0.8.7 build also includes:
- Optimized the water to increase overall framerate a bit
- Reduced the chance of a monster spawner creating 4 monsters at higher levels
- Updated all shields mouse-over text to reflect that they do not stun or knockdown enemies anymore
Build 0.8.6 included a rather large amount of optimizations related to memory management, specifically regarding the updating of terrain when placing buildings and roads.
This build also includes a quick update to mouse sensitivity settings to reduce the sensitivity of looking up and down with the mouse relative to looking right and left. For most users, looking up and down was way too sensitive most of the time. You may need to readjust your mouse sensitivity setting in the Options Menu after this update to get it where you want it.
I hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year!!!
Today's build includes some bug fixes related to building interiors and a fix for the sliding/moving bug.
- Updated the code that loaded a building interior if you loaded a save after logging out while inside a building
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused interiors to disappear while still inside a building
- Optimized the Brewery's path to paint the terrain faster and remove the delay when placing a Brewery
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the character to slide and continue moving without user input
This update adds an autosave feature to HammerHelm. Your progress will now be automatically saved as you progress rather than only when you leave the game.
Alpha 0.7.0 also includes:
- Fixed a bug that caused the character to slide after closing a UI
- Updated the skeleton's animations to more smoothly transition between idle and run
- Added "got hit" animations back to some monsters
- Added some small memory optimizations
Today's build includes a key rebind system in addition to some bug fixes and optimizations.
- Key rebinding system. Keys can be changed once in game in the Settings menu.
- Fixed a bug that caused the character to stop sprinting after jumping
- Fixed a bug that caused the road placement tool to fail to remove grass
- Optimized town buildings to improve performance a bit
Alphas 0.6.20 and 0.6.21 include:
- Fixed bug that caused the game to fail to save if you had over 50 townspeople.
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused Caves to fail to spawn monsters after crafting blood stone items
- If your character starts inside a building after loading a save, the building interior will now load properly
- Updated camera to zoom closer to the character when entering a building if the camera is zoomed far out
- Various other camera collision improvements
Alpha 0.6.18 includes Combat Updates to make combat smoother and easier to control.
- You can turn your character while attacking
- When clicking to attack a monster your character will stay facing the target unless you move the mouse to turn your character
- This prevents the case where sometimes your character would walk past a monster while attacking it even though you hadn't moved the mouse
- Note that moving the mouse while attacking will override this
- When mining ore or chopping a tree your character no longer moves
- Improved animation transitions for attacks
- Your character won't pause between attacks if you continue to click
- This also means your character attacks a bit faster overall
Update 0.6.17 includes a fix for a bug that sometimes caused saving the game to get stuck, resulting in a corrupted save.
I want to thank everyone who sent me save game files and logs to help me track this down and fix it. Nasty bug and without your files I'd probably still be looking for it. So...thank you!!! :)
Today's update (0.6.16) turned off the Halloween event. I hope everyone had fun collecting pumpkins and crafting the limited edition items! I plan on doing more limited time events, and more elaborate events, in the future!
This update also includes a much requested feature - the addition of monsters in the wilderness not related to quests. You can tell them apart from quest monsters because their camps don't have campfires. These monsters give less gold and less loot than quest monsters, however they have a chance to drop any resources, including ore, leather, and alchemy resources. Right now they aren't very common but I will be tweaking this over time.
Open your email you got when you purchased HammerHelm with the purchase link.
If you can't find it, you can go here: https://itch.io/docs/buying/already-bought to have the email resent to you!
You should see a "Get Steam Key" button when you go to the link on your purchase email.
Let me know if you have any problems.
- You can now save up to 5 different characters
- Pressing the Play Button will open a character slot selection screen
- The first time you load your original character you will appear at the start location near your town. After you save again your character's last position will be saved correctly
- At the moment you can no longer delete saves. This will be added in the next update
Today's build includes some adjustments and fixes the town building.
- Updated footprints to make them less neon and added checkered pattern
- this may not seem like a big deal but one of the things I am trying to do is make HammerHelm's palette a little more consistent - so getting rid of the neon grass and neon footprints is part of that
- Fixed bug that caused the road instructions UI to appear when first opening the build town UI
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the game to fail to load the town when a structure was in the process of being built
This build includes a bunch of optimizations and updates to the road placement and road removal system that removes the lag while placing or removing roads.
- Optimized road placement mode to remove lag while dragging to place or remove road
- Holding left button down and dragging will create green indicators for where the grass will be changed to road
- Holding right mouse button down and dragging will create red indicators for where the road will be changed back to grass
- The road is placed (or removed) when you release whichever mouse button you are holding down
Alpha 0.6.02 includes another popular requested feature from the community - a road placement mode! In the above screenshots you can see that I've added roads leading to the doors of the buildings, including a road leading through the Woodchopper's footprint all the way to the door.
- You can place roads in your town
- To do so you will need to have a Stonemason
- Enter build mode (P) and press left-shift + R to enter road placement mode
- Placing road does not use any resources
- You can place roads anywhere in the town build area, except for over Farm or Graveyard dirt
- You can also use the tool to remove road and replace it with grass. This even works for roads placed as part of placing a building
- Pressing - or + will zoom the camera in and out in build mode
- Darkened the grass a bit (it was a bit too neon green at times)
- Fixed a bug that caused the Farm's lantern to turn on when first place during the day
- The storage chest now appears properly in the preview window of the crafting UI
The Alpha 0.6.01 build includes some community requested features, including a new placeable object for your home, Storage Chests! These can be crafted at the Carpenter and placed in your home to store items. Note that once placed, a Storage Chest cannot be put back in your Inventory. They can be moved to a new location however.
Alpha 0.6.01 also includes:
- You can now use the arrow keys in addition to WASD to move your character
- You can now lock the y-axis of the camera to only move when holding left-shift. This can be set in the settings menu
- Lava Elementals will no longer climb on top of your head in an attempt to attack you
The new combat system is live as part of the Alpha 6 release!
The new "How To Fight" UI can be accessed from the Title Screen or in game through the ESC menu if you need a refresher.
At first the system may seem a bit complex, but really all you need to remember to fight effectively is:
- Left click to attack
- Right click to block
- Middle button or R to use power attack
For those of you who have been playing HammerHelm for a while, the new system may take a bit of getting used to. I think it's way more fun though and I hope you do too!
As part of this update monster damage has been reduced as well. I will be tweaking that along with health potion heal amounts as I get more feedback on the new system.
Alpha 0.5.06 is live and includes a bunch of updates to the combat prototype as well as a bug fix related to moving the Fishing Pier to invalid locations.
The combat prototype is nearly complete so I highly recommend you check it out if you have time. The more feedback the better!
The updates today include adding a third monster, reducing the rate at which the monsters attack slightly, and adding AI to the monsters so they will stay inside your view area rather than constantly winding up behind you. This makes it far less likely that a monster will attack you from off screen and should always give you time to react to an incoming attack.
This build includes a bunch of fixes related to Shaydee, specifically loading and saving the "Shaydee Problems" quest.
Shaydee is unique compared to other NPCs in that during the Shaydee Business quest line, he is loaded into the game similar to the way monsters are for quests. However, once you complete Shaydee Business, he then loads into the game from saves similar to the way your townspeople load.
The Shaydee Problems quest wasn't accounting for this when loading from a save. If you are seeing odd behavior from Shaydee after loading a save with the Shaydee Problems quest active, those should all be resolved now when you next load.
Needless to say, the Shaydee Problems quest certainly lived up to it's name!
Alpha 0.5.03 includes:
- Fixed a bunch of bugs related to saving and loading save games during various stages of the Shaydee Problems quests
- Fixed a bug that caused Shaydee's dialog to appear when not speaking with Shaydee
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the Carpenter to walk while crafting an item after you spoke to him
Alpha 0.5.02 includes a bunch of updates and fixes related to the town building menu. In addition, I also changed some of the settings for the water that I think makes it look a lot prettier. The following screenshots show the old water (left side) vs. the new water (right side) during sunrise and mid-day.
- You can delete a Stone Wall by holding left-control and pressing the right mouse button. Other structures cannot be deleted, yet
- The Fishing Pier no longer requires stone to build
- Moving the Fishing Pier now correctly moves the Fisherman associated with that Pier
- Removed the Fishing Pier and Woodchopper from the Misc tab in the build menu
- You can move the build camera when in build mode down to the area where Fishing Piers can be placed
- Mini Mushroommen will no longer spawn inside towers as part of the Shroomin Quest
- Updated some settings for the water
Still working on the combat system update as well. I hope to have something for you all to try out by the end of the week.
Alpha 0.5.0 includes two new buildings, three new quests, and a bunch of fixes and optimizations. In addition, I'm still working on the new combat system although that is not in this build.
Gone Fishing (or... I'm on a Boat!)
Alpha 0.5.0 includes:
- New structure: The Fishing Pier. Provides food similar to a farm.
- New Structure: Woodchopper. Speeds up the rate at which trees regrow (he will eventually cut down trees to help your workers too)
- Three new quests!
- Changed the tutorial quest to craft a copper weapon to craft any copper item. This quest was filtering out the non weapons to avoid the player crafting the wrong thing, but this also made it appear that the Metalworker didn't craft anything other than weapons
- Fixed collision for some buildings so camera won't clip through walls when zoomed out (still have more to do)
- Changed collision for buildings with inaccessible lower levels so if you get stuck inside one, you can just walk out now
- After completing the trapped miner quest you can now press ESC to leave
- Optimized the particle effect for cursed trees
- Fixed an issue related to placing Wooden Houses
Today's update includes a new quest and a new feature! The ability to sell back items that you no longer need has been a very popular feature request since early access started...
So, meet Shaydee the Goblin!
Shaydee isn't like other goblins, he doesn't want to fight, he just likes to collect stuff and wants to open a shop. Help Shaydee build his shop outside of town and he'll buy your old weapons and armor from you!
Quick note: As the game was never balanced with selling back items in mind, Shaydee's prices are currently set a bit low. A full set of Copper Armor, Weapon, and Shield yields just under the amount of gold as killing two spawns of monsters. Sets made from better ore yield more gold. I'll probably be tweaking the prices and the costs of structures over time.
Alpha 0.4.3 includes:
- A new quest, Shaydee Business
- Help Shaydee build his shop and he'll buy weapons and armor from you
- If you have placed the Champion's Home, you will respawn outside of the home after you die rather than at the starting location
- Added footsteps sound when running on dirt
- Added a music mute button
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the mini mushroommen to get stuck in the air during the Shroomin quest
Small update today as I spent a lot of my time re-shooting parts of the trailer to show the new map. Also got a lot of work done on the quest and the system to sell back items. Since they are tied together I'm hoping to have both done tomorrow.
This build includes:
- Fixed a big that caused ESC to not cancel building decor items
- More world optimizations
- Moved some trees and rocks around on the map (I'll probably be doing this off and on while I work on other things
Today's build includes a LOT of optimizations for the new map. You should see a nice performance increase. I'm going to be doing similar optimizations for the town buildings next over time.
This update includes:
- Optimized most of the trees
- Optimized the building under construction north of town (working on a quest for this now too!)
- The torches at the ruins and at the fort now correctly turn on and off at morning and evening
- Fixed a few rocks that were in the wrong place
I'm going to do the optimizations while I continue to work on features and content rather than all at once. That way I can release some new content, and besides, optimization is boring work. :P
I'm working on a new quest that will unlock the ability to sell your items for gold. That's been a highly requested feature but rather than just add another building or townsperson shopkeeper, I wanted to have some more fun with it. More info as I get closer to completing it. Something on the new map has a clue about it right now though. See if you can find it! :)
I spent a bunch of time this weekend on the new map and while it is not completed yet, I've made a new build that will allow you to check it out in its current state.
To see he new map, make sure you have the latest build (0.3.13b), hold down left-shift and press backspace. This will load the scene with the test map.
To get back to the title screen, press ESC.
When you first appear in the map you will be facing north with the castle area to your back. Willow Grove is to the west and the ruins are to the east. There are also a few new points of interest on the map and I plan on adding at least a couple more.
There's still quite a bit left to do, but I'm happy with it so far and hope you all like it as well!
If you have any feedback or questions please feel free to post them here!
Today's update includes the ability to move placed furniture and put placed furniture back into your inventory. I'm releasing the system in increments to give you all a chance to give feedback as it is in development.
Full Update Notes, Alpha 0.3.12 includes:
- Placed furniture can now be picked up and moved
- Placed furniture can now be placed back in your inventory
- Adjusted the height placement for tables and stools
- Fixed bug that sometimes caused stools to not load properly from a save
- Added hint regarding how to fight the Necromancer
- Added collision to the stairs in the Barracks
- Added collision to floor in back of Tavern
This is a big update that includes the first phase of the player house!
Read the Dev Blog for more details:
Alpha 0.3.09 includes:
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused farmers to skip a harvest if you played for over a full day (in game time)
- If your Farmers are inactive due to a quest (such as Cursed Farms) and they are told to harvest, they will start harvesting as soon as you complete the quest, rather than waiting for the next day
- Updated the "Shroomin" Quest so the Mini Mushroom Men don't seek to hide in towers, walls, or entrances
- Updated the loot tables for Alchemy resources to balance out which resources you get better
- Fixed a bug that caused Stone House upgrades to not persist between saves
I mentioned in a previous update that I was working on some composition shots for the new map. These are meant to give me a visual goal for the map. So what you are seeing is just a scene, a representation of what I'd like the map to look like.
In the case of this shot, it's a coastline. Right now in HammerHelm the coast is too steep to really do anything with and the water is pretty basic. The goal here is to have a coastline that looks prettier but could also have a use (such as placing a fishing structure) as your town could be closer to the coast.
As always, feedback is appreciated!
Alpha 0.3.08 includes:
- Added code to quest system to ensure an NPC doesn't get two quests simultaneously
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the Trapped Miner to not appear in the mines
- The quest system will now speed up the rate it gives you a quest if you have no open quests
- Fixed rotation of shopkeepers inside of buildings (tavern, brewery, weaponsmith)
Small build today as I am working on some composition shots for the new map to use as visual style and quality references. Once they're further along I'll post them and would love to hear feedback!
This build mostly includes some additions and updates to Build Mode.
Alpha 0.3.07 includes:
- Added a Window Mode Toggle to the Settings Screen
- Changed the keys to rotate the camera to Q and E
- Farms can now be moved while in build mode
- Fixed a bug that caused crops to look ready to harvest when a farmer starts tending crops at a newly placed farm
Alpha 0.3.06 includes:
- A new quest! Upgrade your helmet by completing the Metalworker's quest.
- A new helmet, the Ram Helm (acquired by completing a quest, comes in all ore types)
- Reduced the cost of stone to build the Barracks (note the Barracks are still not implemented yet, but you can build the structure)
- Added rotation to camera when in build mode (A and D keys)
- Fixed a bug that caused the trapped miner to sometimes become invisible
- Fixed a bug that caused fireplaces and chimneys to disappear when moving a home
Alpha 0.3.05 includes:
- Big update to the save game system to ensure that saves occur properly, especially related to buildings in your town
- The building placement system has been updated to enforce the building placement requirements better
- When picking up and moving a building, the street it created in its previous location no longer remains
- Townspeople will no longer stop to talk to you if you have a UI open (such as inventory) when they walk near you
- The Tinker Shop now correctly removes the grass from under its floors
- Fixed the Brewery door
Alpha Build 0.3.04 is live. This update includes a big fix to monsters who weren't using gravity correctly. The Goblins especially yearned to fly. Not in my world, punks!
The build also includes some more updates based on player feedback in the discussion forums.
Alpha 0.3.04 includes:
- Monsters now use gravity properly (no more floating monsters!)
- You can use the mousewheel to zoom farther or closer to your character (note zooming out will lower FPS a bit so be careful with this!)
- Item stacking code has been improved
- The "Press G to drop off resources" message will no longer appear while you are moving the location of the Storehouse
- Using the "T" key while renaming an NPC will no longer open the NPC dialog UI if you are near an NPC
- A setting to Invert Mouse has been added to the Settings Menu
- Settings Menu options for music and mouse sensitivity now correctly display your current saved settings
I'm hoping to add some more quests in the coming days as well as some other new features.
Alpha 0.3.03 includes:
- VSync can be toggled in the settings menu
- Placing Stone Entrances, Towers, and Walls will eventually create a positive mood buff for townspeople
- Improved loot balance for ore in loot and ore deposits
- Added ore loot as part of the Cave In quest
- Fire Elementals now correctly rise from their idle state
- Inventory items can no longer be stacked above 64
- Fixed a bug that allowed buildings to be placed on top of each other
- It is easier to pick up and move Stone Towers
- Decorative items (such as lamp posts and fountains) can now be moved once placed
- Pressing the "Craft" button before selecting a building no longer puts the UI in a bad state
- Pressing ESC to cancel a build no longer results in losing that building if you are moving an existing building
Alpha 0.3.02 includes:
- A new quest: Walking Stone (and a new monster to go with it!)
- Crops appear differently depending on whether the farmer is able to harvest them or not. This will help clear up confusion while the farmer is tending, but not harvesting the crops
- Increased the amount of food Farmers deliver to the Storehouse each harvest
- Fixed a bug that caused food to go over the Storehouse's maximum capacity
- Increased the lighting in dungeons and caves (would love feedback on this, still too dark? too bright? etc.)
- Jade and Gold can be smelted at the Weaponsmith as well as the Armorsmith
- Updated the terrain change system when placing buildings or moving an existing building
- Added missing collision to Stone Entrance when first built
The update to the terrain change should also resolve a crash issue reported while placing or moving buildings.