that's correct! no ranking as Sl1ngShot says ✨
Recent community posts
any is fine! It’s a jam for fun and to challenge yourself, so if you’ve made 100 games or no games it’s perfectly valid to join in and do whatever you feel like. there’s no rules and no theme, just make something ✨
Submissions always stay open indefinitely! you can submit any time basically, so don't worry about rushing it. We'll keep self submissions open until end of year as well like usual for convenience, and then once that kind of submission slow down we move to submission links done via the discord (you post your game, I give you a link to add it to the jam).
So yea not a problem!
This has always been how the jam works! The deadline is for people who choose to use it.
Submissions remain open indefinitely, you can submit any time regardless, there are no rules and no deadlines. It's a personal challenge! The shared timer is for people to have the option to collaborate, plan in person timing etc.
So: when the timer expires, it's extended till end of the year, and then once the rate of submissions slows down, it changes to asking for a submission link instead.
Thanks for jamming!
In this particular jam it's all fine either way. You can submit any time including past the deadline so I wouldn't stress about it. IF you want people to know the distinction as bacon mentions, it can help to mention which is the one you did in a short time and which is the longer version.
That's great! I'm glad you're learning and making progress.
- aim REALLY small. something complete and small will be validating, satisfying and help you learn!
- doing just one thing is more than enough for this purpose. e.g "do one thing well", even if small, is plenty for this
- try to get the game playable asap and close the loop. this means: a menu -> game -> end -> menu loop, it helps and you learn a lot!
- rest well, shower etc and be healthy, you can submit at any time even after the time window on this page. never crunch for a game jam
- let people try the game as early as you can. you can make and upload builds onto your game page here on itch before submitting. there's the discord server if you'd like to find people to test as well
There's probably more but thanks for joining, let use know how it goes!
hmm well submissions won't be open until the date (that's just how this website (itch.io) works with jams). You can definitely make the game page and all that on itch side (which is what you submit) and then post about it in the forum here + the discord. then when the submissions open throw it in the list!
This game jam is a little bit different than most. We don't have rules or deadlines or a theme, so it's more of a personal challenge. There's nobody to cheat here.
You can think of the dates for 7dfps more as a collective window where people can team up and plan ahead and hang out in person etc rather than a deadline, since you can start early or finish late, we don't mind. we know people have lives, schedules, jobs, exams etc and we just want people to make stuff.
Most jams have the submission window close and you can't really submit anymore, and we've had games submitted over a year late and we don't mind!
So in particular, this jam is quite different but is a good opportunity to gain some skills and make something.