Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics


A member registered Dec 14, 2018

Recent community posts

(1 edit)

I did some debugging. Looks like there are some cases where ui_Theme.add does not always call then(), so nothing else can load. This is caused by a missing theme, which I didn't notice in the past because GMEdit used to gracefully fallback to the default theme in this case.

I know how to fix this now, but may I recommend adding an else { then(); } to line 907 of app-stater.js? That would restore GMEdit's ability to gracefully handle a missing theme.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. By "bringing up the dev console" I meant that I followed the instructions in your post from the other topic to pull it up on load. It shows no errors.

The issue seems to be a Windows 10 replica of:

I performed an install of and later with the same outcome: the program is stuck in the "stating up..." state. Bringing up the dev console shows no errors.

This machine previously had GMEdit-Beta-Windows (compiled at Dec 19, 2020) installed. That version ran without issue.

Any thoughts on what's going wrong?


(1 edit)

The global replace feature writes the new text to the .yy instead of the .gml file. Example:

  1. I create a script called 'example' that contains the string 'var a = 3;' and save it.
  2. I run a global replace to convert 'a' to 'b'.
  3. I check the script files on disk.
    1. 'example.gml' contains the string 'var a = 3;' instead of 'var b = 3;'.
    2. 'example.yy' contains the string 'var b = 3;' instead of the expected JSON.

I have only confirmed this for scripts; it may impact other resources.

I'm using the beta version compiled on Mar 30, 2020.

(1 edit)
Editor compiled at Oct 15, 2019.

Is this the latest version? If so, it is still present for me.

The Show Asset Thumbnails preference behaves as expected on program start. If it is toggled on and then off during execution of the program, the default resource icons display incorrectly.

This is because the resource tree icons gain a data-thumb attribute when the preference is turned on and retain it still when the preference is turned off - styling for .treeview .item[data-thumb]:before overrides the normal background positioning for those elements.

.treeview .item[data-thumb]:before {
/*background-image: attr(data-thumb url);*/ /* if only */
background-position: center;
background-size: 100%;
background-size: contain;
/*image-rendering: pixelated;*/

It is not a major inconvenience, since normal usage does not require this preference to be changed with any sort of frequency. I just did not realize I could use the presence of the data-thumb attribute to differentiate between resource tree icons with and without thumbnails until a restart of the program (which is very useful for custom themes).

I had fun once I got the hang of it. The attacking was kind of hit-or-miss for me, though, so I ended up just running and jumping past most enemies. The end boss was well designed and took me a few tries to beat. Reminded me very much of NES days. Overall, a solid effort for a prototype.

If you ever expand on this, it could be worthwhile to ease the player into all of the different moves (I only discovered that there was a dash move by reading the comments here). I'd also love to see a bit more variety in terms of obstacles and enemies, as well as a visual hint of how many hits an enemy had taken or needs to go down (e.g. show an enemy taking damage).

Music was fitting, as expected!