not bad ! It was fun seeing you try, you almost finished (13 levels ;) )
Recent community posts
not bad ! It was fun seeing you try, you almost finished (13 levels ;) )
Unfortunately, there is not much I can do to solve this issue. However, I added a bunch of keyboard shortcuts so if you have the patience, you will be able to play the game without ever touching the mouse. Full detail can be found in patch notes.
I have been working for quite some time on this sequel and I am proud to present you 2 different levels.
The concept is really simple: imagine a platformer where characters have stats, and need to roll a dice to know if they succeed each jump ! Game is available on browser or can be downloaded for more comfort.
Game is very casual, but a smart player understanding the ropes can finish a level way faster :)
I would really like to have your feedback, in particular for the music, as I have been trying to explore new things compared to my previous tracks.
I hope you enjoy !
Thank you for making this version available.
I am going to be fairly critic, but since it is only your first game done in very little time I think you should still be proud of what you've accomplished :)
- game is contrasted and easy to read
- the characters are funny with their weirdness
- music is a bit repetitive. The fact that it resets when you die does not help
- there is a general lack of feedback for lots of things
- you need to work a little bit on the itch.io page, even if it is a gamejam you need to lure people to play your game :)
- there are some problematic blind jumps, so either:
- design your levels to avoid such jumps
- or use a camera dissociated from the player (allowing to view the bottom in this instance)
- physics seemed inconsistent:
- the feeling I had while playing was that for the same action I had different results
- the falls seemed a bit floaty
- the dash did not feel satisfying
I have also more personnal criticism but that could vary a lot from person to person:
- I am not a fan of sanity concept. I gather that you tried do it to be funny for the contrast between cheerfulness of the game and insanity, but it does not click for me.
- You almost never lose because of sanity, but mostly because of falling into hands. Your ideas were good, but maybe aim for less if you still have progress to do to implement them
That's it !
Congrats on submitting, and good luck for your future projects !
I gave it a try, music is nice, esthetics goes well with the game. Idea is clever.
I did not have fun while playing it, but I am sure there is potential if you focus on improving gameplay.
Congrats for making a game !
I am interested in the jam but won't be available to participate.
Since jam lasts for 17 days, would it be acceptable if I work 2 weeks prior to the jam and limit myself to that time ?
Hi narF :)
No they are not:
- jump calls mini-jump stat
- jump! calls jum stat
- jump!! calls big jump stat
If you fail the mini jump, you jump too far (not far enough for the others). It's just a matter of odds !
To me, the game refusing you to play as a woman was the harshest thing I could come up with, I thought it was the best way of conveying that particular message. That said, I made the character appearance as neutral as possible so that everyone can identify ;)
There are 3 endings, and one is good ! Choices matters, different players will have different outcomes.
Thank you for playing :)
I have just posted a new game: https://joqlepecheur.itch.io/the-nice-necromancer
There is one slight problem however, the cover image and 2 screenshots won't display. This is the first time I encounter such an issue, I post quite a lot of games :)
Edit - solved: expected behaviour for browser games
This is a valid point and the reason there are only 20 checks. If you think about it, is 1/3 such bad odds 😉?
Frustration is part of the experience! Do not worry though, I won't include such an unfair mechanic in future games, at least not with those consequences
Well you got the point :)
It has been popular because it was an easy way to increase what a player can do when you are limited technically. Even now, you can't always have a player skill based action for everything. How do you know if you succeed in a surgery? If your character is able to lift a rock or a boulder ?
As for D&D, people like it because you are only limited by the collective imagination. A game is a different media, you can't really compare.
Even on starcraft, you can hardly find more skill in a game, units have a chance to dodge hits when shot from lower ground :) League of legends also has random elements.
By enforcing skill based action only, what a player can do is limited by the work of the developpers. RPG fun does not come from rolling a dice to perform an action but to be able to choose what action to perform at what time.
:) always use extra candidate when you can !
- you randomly roll the dice 1-100
- difficulty starts low (-50) and goes up
- if you roll lower than skill - difficulty you win! (exemple: difficulty 20, your skill is 50, you must roll 30 or less)
Read if you are interested in what is to come, but the section is spoiler heavy :)
The list is VERY incomplete, this is mainly a list for myself to keep track of certain things due to the huge amount of stuff I still have to do.
- complete lava world
- Scan feature (reveal some traps and hidden pathways)
- Gargantua, release small bots
- Phaser, cross obstacles by changing dimensions
- Driller, can destroy a few stone blocks
- Mini-bomb, strong explosion
- Fire-resistant bots
- Gun slinger
- Metal head
- Lava plains
- Lava cave
- Moutain levels
- Teleport pathway
- Dwellers dimension
- spike balls
- regenerating force-fields
- Fishes in water level
Grass in plains- done Foutain in temple- replaced by energy conducts Elements to break repetiveness in temple-energy conducts introduced in levels Animate lava world- done
- additionnal song for world1
- songs for every world
- glass bot breaking
- bot jump
- drillers foes
- narrator bot phrases
For version 1.0
- single additionnal challenge for each level
Record time feature in each level- done
- sky platform
- artificial continent
All changes will be recorded here, please report bugs if encounter one
2017-05-03 0.0.2.7 Demo:
- cosmetic additions to the 3 outdoor levels available
2017-04-17 0.0.2.6 Demo:
- can now skip cinematics
- in last world 1 level, secret is now apparent (scanner will be needed in final release)
2017-04-16 0.0.2.5 Demo:
- added simulation feature to make tweaking orders interesting:
- unlocked in level 6
- world map upgrade icon
- available in give order phase in left upper corner
- speed x2, no collision with foes but elevators and moving objects accelerated as well
- in level 1, replaced all tutorial text by flashing boxes
You roll the dice:
- if dice roll < (skill - difficulty) success
- if dice roll =< 5 super success
- if dice roll > 95 epic fail !
The better the stat, the better the odds ! but difficulty is not the same everywhere :)
I would like to introduce my current project, Cool Headed
Cool Headed objective is very simple, you start on the left and you must reach the objective on the right (you see the little pole to the right? Yup that's it).
To reach the goal, you will often need to combine your robots abilities
There is only one major problem...
...you can't directly control your robots !
Instead, comes is a very simple system of orders to give to your robots:
- super easy to use
- no programmation required, just lazily click with your mouse
- the satisfaction to see your plan come to life :)
- if you fail, you can repeat as much as you want with little adjustments
All of this takes place on an overworld full of secrets and mystery ;)
Try the demo or the alpha on itch.io : https://joqlepecheur.itch.io/cool-headed
I am really looking forward to your feedbacks !
I am officially launching my latest game, Cool Headed
Cool Headed is a lemmings like with a small team of robots, demo is available here:
You can vote for it on greenlight:
Game will of course be available on itch.io and updated as it progress.