thanks for the feedback! i'm very proud of this game!
Recent community posts
it's not necessarily all fake paths -- it's more identifying what the player will likely do and trying to force them to use the mechanic in a way that's surprising. i like to write down all the corner cases i find while i'm testing the game and then try to build puzzles around those cases.
iteration is also very important for puzzle design. i test a lot and try to improve puzzles i'm not happy with, and cut out ones that will never work.
for the 1,1 coin door, it is impossible to get normally (you can't jump the spikes). you have to use another of your abilities. :)
Getting into tough levels there. Hard to hint without knowing what you've already figured out. Reveal them in order until you get an idea. I've kept the hints kind of high-level:
Hints for 35:
- Jung vf gur fgehpgher bs guvf yriry? Ubj jbhyq lbh oernx gung fgehpgher?
- Gurer ner gjb yriryf ba gbc bs rnpu bgure, ohg lbh pna bayl npprff unys bs gur nernf jvgu gur fgnegvat ynlbhg.
- Lbh zhfg oernx gur cnevgl bs gur plpyr gb npprff arj nernf.
- Gurer ner gjb jnlf gb trg gb na nern vs gurl nera’g oybpxrq: pybpxjvfr naq pbhagre-pybpxjvfr.
Hints for 36:
- Jung pna lbh qb gb n cbegny gb znxr vg zber hfrshy ba guvf yriry?
- Vs lbh whfg unq 2 fbyvq oybpxf lbh orng gur yriry.
- Jung vf gur checbfr bs gur cbegny ba gur vfynaq? Ubj pbhyq lbh rire znxr vg hfrshy?
Hey minidavid -- glad you enjoyed the game.
As for your question -- TIC-80 does not provide much structure as an "engine" so there is no "correct" way to implement undo. It very much depends on how you've implemented it in your game.
As a guess, perhaps you're undoing on button hold rather than button press so that it's triggering multiple times very fast?
Hey I tried to hide your response but I accidentally deleted both your posts (I think because one was a parent of the other).
Try not to post direct solutions or hints within the comments. The rot13 is so that people can optionally interact with the hints. Some folks want to solve levels without hints and I don't want them to be scared to read the comments.
Sure, reveal the hints in order until it gives you enough direction to continue.
Hints for level 33:
- Vf gurer n jnl lbh pbhyq gnxr zber 5f jvgu lbh guebhtu gur frevrf bs cbegnyf?
- Gb trg rabhtu 5f, lbh arrq gb fgber gurz vafvqr n cbegny.
- Gur bayl jnyy gung rkvfgf va guvf yriry vf gur 5 qbbe. Pna lbh hfr gung va fbzr jnl?
- Lbh arrq gb or noyr gb chfu gur cbegny naq gnxr vg jvgu lbh.
- Lbh pna hfr n 10 ntnvafg gur 5 qbbe gb or noyr gb chfu gur cbegny.
I don't have great hints for this one, just some strategies to try. It's a rough one and it's hard to think about!
(use rot13 to decode)
- Gel gb or njner bs nyy gur bcgvbaf naq zbirf lbh unir.
- Unir lbh gevrq oevatvat oybpxf onpxjneq?
- Unir lbh gevrq yrnivat fcnpr gb ghea nebhaq naq oevat oybpxf sbejneq?
Hints for Level 4:
(use rot13to decode)
- Jung unccraf jura lbh yrnir n fdhner jvgu n tenl fvtvy ba gur tebhaq?
- Jung unccraf jura n funcr yrnirf gur fdhner jvgu n tenl fvtvy ba gur tebhaq?
- Ubj znal gvzrf pna lbh pebff gur zvqqyr jnyy?
- Ubj pna gur checyr K uryc lbh zvavzvmr gur ahzore bs tenl fvtvyf lbh fgrc ba?
Yes, I like to say creating a puzzle is a lot like solving a puzzle :)
I always had a document open while making levels. Any time I saw a surprising edge-case or something unintuitive or cool happened, I would write that down in the document.
Each level started with me trying to force the player to do one of the cool things in the document. Sometimes, the conditions were specific enough that it was basically a full puzzle on its own. Sometimes it wasn't hard enough, so I then had to add complications and test to see if it was still possible.
The most important thing was iteration. Usually, my first draft of a level wasn't very good. Every time I worked on the game, I would go through a few levels I had already "finished" and made sure I still liked those levels. I tried to simplify each level to align with its core ideas. If I was unsatisfied with some part of the level, I would try to make small changes to improve it. If I thought the level was now overshadowed or just bad I would scrap it completely.
This iterative process slowly turned a lot of initially mediocre levels into interesting and challenging ones.
Here are the hints for level 10 I posted below:
Hints for level 10: (use rot13 to decode)
- Jung unccraf vs lbh chfu ba gur erq fvqr bs n cbegny? Ubj pna guvf uryc?
- Gur purpxreobneq qbbe bayl bcraf jura nyy bgure qbbef va gur nern ner bcra.
- Jung beqre zhfg lbh bcra gur qbbef va?
- Vf gurer n jnl gb fgber n funcr ba gur gbc vfynaq sbe yngre?
Nope -- unfortunately that's one of the limitations of PICO-8 supporting dual-stick.
If you're playing single player in the native app you can use P1's directions to move and P2's directions to shoot, but PICO-8 does not let you map different player's movements to the same controller. You can remap keyboard controls there, but most people have a pretty hard time playing dual stick on a keyboard (there's a lot more buttons and it can get overwhelming).
You are on the right track and I think making good deductions so far! The devil's in the details with this one. Make sure you stay organized and use every space you can. Think about all the directions you can enter the portals from and what the geometry of the level means for sneaking more hearts in.
Interesting! Ctrl+R is indeed reset in TIC-80 but it shouldn't delete any save progress (e.g. when I try it right now the progress stays). Maybe some weird bug in in the engine or some setting your browser had coincidentally clear it?
I hacked together a save editor real quick. It's available here: https://gate.itch.io/ghost-save-editor?password=ghost-save-editor
To use it, just launch that page and check the puzzles you want completed in your save file. Exit that page, and when you reload the main game, the progress should be there.
Great job getting so far already! This is not an easy game.
Yeah those are both very tricky puzzles. 39 because it's very cramped and requires some good Sokoban and spatial reasoning, and 44 because the lynchpin is tough.
It's hard to hint because they're both pretty involved, but:
Hints for 39:
- Gel sbphfvat ba fnivat n fvatyr funcr. Bapr lbh pna qb gung, vf gurer n jnl lbh pna rkgraq gung grpuavdhr gb gjb funcrf? Naq gura guerr?
- Lbh arrq nyy gur fcnpr lbh pna trg. Vs lbh qba’g unir rabhtu ebbz va n yngre fgrc, vf gurer n jnl gb cbfvgvba guvatf va na rneyvre fgrc gb svk gung?
- Vf gurer n jnl gb hfr n cbegny gb chg gur fgnegvat cbegny va n zber snibenoyr fcbg?
Hints for 44:
Since you're a little farther in this one, I'll give some more direct hints:
- Lrf, gurer vf n jnl gb erfphr gur bss oybpx sebz oruvaq gur tngr, ohg vg'f n irel gevpxl zbir.
- Znxr fher lbh qba'g hfr lbhe erfbheprf orsber vg'f nofbyhgryl arprffnel. Lbh arrq nyy gur ryrzragf lbh unir npprff gb.
Good question! I don't think there's a specific unintuitive trick around the holes. The walls that pop up work the same as the holes (the only difference being a wall is created rather than a hole) so if you can solve level 4 you basically know everything you need to know about holes.
it's me the mechanics nerd!
i started by getting the "feel" of the mechanics right and then just built everything around it in some like free-associative state. and somehow it all came together coherently!
Tough to write hints for these! Basically no content is "locked" in this game, so playing through the levels or getting stuck is just part of the experience. I don't want to be too explicit because seeing the answer won't be nearly as satisfying as arriving there in some way.
That said, I do plan on recording a walkthrough video at some point and maybe I'll come up with hints for all the levels and have an optional in-game hint system. Not sure yet!
Hints for 34:
(use rot13 to decode)
- Jung qbrf vg zrna jura n cbegny vf lryybj? Vs guvf yriry vf fbyinoyr, jung zhfg gur cbegny ynlbhg ybbx yvxr?
- Ubj qbrf gur jnyy ba gur svefg fperra uryc?
- Ubj pna lbh rire erfphr gur checyr K? Jung jbhyq arrq gb or gehr?