Thank you so much for the longest and most well-written review we've had so far. You've found a lot of new bugs and I see many good suggestions that we can apply to future versions. Some of your suggestions were actually what we're working on so it makes me happy to see it. It makes us feel more confident about the feature and it tells us how much you've played and thought about the gameplay of UW.
To answer your questions :
- Will the shady guy that you can steal from eventually be a combat encounter, or will it always be a dialog fight?
- Same question but for the wolf encounter.
Many dialogue fights will be a real fight in the later versions(such as sniper attacks or the shady guy fight) but the wolf encounter probably won't be a real fight due to its feasibility.
- Can the infantry armor and helmet be penetrated by a rifle (or larger) round?
- What about by armor piercing ammunition?
Body armor will be pierced by AP ammo and in the future combat overhaul, we're thinking about adding durability to the armors so you can fix it during the camping section.
- Does the enemy ever carry armor piercing ammunition for use against the player?
- If not, then will they ever?
Yes, the AI isn't in there yet, but the AI will pretty much be able to do what player can do eventually.
- Is the armor piercing ammunition for all classes or is it categorized as an "anti-tank weapon," limiting its use to the Support class?
Hmmmm, this is a touch question since sub-classes are still being worked on, but for now I'm gonna say everyone can use AP ammo. We're trying to make the classes in a way that everyone can use any(if not most) weapons and tools but certain classes have special bonus or ability with them.
- Does the location of the hit determine the damage? Or does each unit have a single hitbox?
There are 3 hitboxes(head, torso & legs) atm with no incoming damage difference. This will obviously change in the future so there are more hit boxes and headshot is causes more serious damage and etc. If you wear helmet and body armor, head and torso(front angle) gets covered so you sometimes get hit on your legs unless they are covered by obstacles.
- Are there any plans for back-up combat methods in the event the player runs out of ammunition?
Not at the moment, but that's something to think about, especially if you felt the need.
- Does a unit's sight stat affect their accuracy?
No, sight only affects their visibility which used to be more relevant when there was Fog of War in UW which was disabled due to some tech needs. The stats will be reworked during the combat overhaul and we'll work to see if we can(and want to) bring the Fog of War back.
- What is the timeframe of weapon and vehicle technology that will be present in the game? All of the weapons thus far have been WWI and earlier (barring the Fiat L5/30) - do you have a particular year in mind as to the "cut-off"?
Easiest way to think of it is "before WW2". So some tech that's not used widely in WW1 but designed in between WW1 and WW2 can certainly be in UW. It's not a hard limit either. Just to keep the aesthetics consistent and with balancing in mind.
Thank you again and
please join our discord server and talk with us directly there!
I realized that you don't use discord(although that'd be great cause we're very active in Discord) so no worries, just keep sharing your fantastic ideas with us here!