Pretty neat dual game-mechanic thing going on (shooting + picking up things with the astronaut). I wish the firing rate was a bit faster as well.
Recent community posts
Thanks for all the feedback! I have a build now where turning doesn't cost any move. It alters the mechanics a bit and makes it a bit easier, but not as much easier as i thought.
Once the voting has ended I'll upload the new build (not sure I'm allowed to do it now during voting since I've also added some more features..)
Dev logging is not my strong side (takes time away from development :D) so that never happened during the jam. But I thought I'd write some sort of postmortem of the development.
I knew I wanted to do a roguelike since I've started many such prototypes in the past but never really finished one. I knew I wanted to target mobile and that the controls should be dead simple (no on-screen buttons, playable with one hand).
The initial idea was to make a roguelike kind of the old game Wizard of Wor (look it up on google if you don't know it). I loved this game and played it to death on my old C64 back in the days :)
What went well:
- Code structure feels pretty nice and clean. Not too many dirty hacks in there. I tried to keep the number of files to a minimum and I think that worked pretty well.
- Development was quite fast, hit no real problems.
- I learned to use asesprite which was an excellent tool
What went not so well:
- Controls for desktop could be improved. Since the game is mainly targeting mobile I didn't put much effort into running perfectly on desktop.
- Difficulty is a bit up to the RNG.. You can have bad luck and get spawned into basically an impossible situation. (Made an update with a small improvement for this)
- I wanted to have more content. I have several monster types with other behavior that I didn't have time to implement as well as some more pick-ups (like an "adrenaline" pickup making the player faster)
- Enemy AI is a bit simplistic
Please try it out and let me know what you think! :)
Game page: http://devilbuddy.itch.io/sector-2f