🤑 Indie game store🙌 Free games😂 Fun games😨 Horror games
👷 Game development🎨 Assets📚 Comics
🎉 Sales🎁 Bundles

cool little title to demo the inequalities women face on the job market. I do respect the dev team giving this issue the spotlight which it certainly deserves, however, it's important to remember that IF the interviewer is not a sexist a-hole the outcome of an actual job interview will depend on factors that will have little to do with the gender of an applicant. Saying that the two applicants are exactly the same is like saying that two women weather the same outfit are the same. Clearly we're all different, even minor differences in qualifications can have an impact on the outcome of a job interview. One has to be very careful not to write it off as a gender-bias.

Still I completely agree with a point that female applicants are discriminated against with questions about current/future maternity which are wrapped in cute interviewer terms like family plans and marital status... as a working society we need to just deal with women having kids and companies need to accept it as part of work-life and just friggin pay for it, write it off as operational expenditure just as they do with a million other things.

Clearly the interviewer in this title is portrayed as very sexist and biased towards women which is NOT always the case... plenty of decent interviewers out there although unfortunately bad ones do come up. Not to nitpick at the design but the applicants are interviewing at two different companies and two different positions; general business consultancies are male-dominated (male applicants will have the edge here) at all levels while marketing/pr consultancies are female-dominated at all levels except for the C-suite, so a female applicant for a marketing position may actually have much better chances than her male competition.

Another factor that will benefit the female applicants is the 80% rule... at least in the US - so basically to avoid legal action from the DOL (which can be very costly) 20% of company staff has to be different from the other 80%, i.e. if a company has over 80% males it's time to hire some females to dilute the staff a little.

Bottom line is that if the hiring manager or the company policy is discriminatory towards females there's very little we can do (at least without a thorough legal investigation... which is expensive). Sexist managers are aware of just how difficult it is to legally combat sexist hiring practices and thus take full advantage of picking candidates that they approve of.

I'm convinced that to fix this issue as well as other gender bias issues we must teach our kids at home and at school to be accepting of others regardless of their differences.


I'm afraid you are over-optimistic about the marketing industry you picked as an example of a woman-friendly sector as far as hiring and wages are concerned. In some countries it might be the case, but there are injustices there as well, as this article indicates: http://prosar.com/2015/09/17/its-time-to-close-the...

The 80% rule sounds like a very weak barrier. 80-20 is still very unbalanced, and it does not necessarily solve the pay gap. I feel that there's a deeper, systemic issue at stake here.