I'm on Linux Mint 17 KDE. It probably worked for you because you had the dependencies available for building the package, but I think you'll find that it doesn't work on Ubuntu on a fresh install/different user session because liblove.so.0 isn't a standard library on any distro. Thanks for looking into Linux support. If you can't figure it out, I'll take a look at the documentation and see if there's anything I can do to help.
Thanks! You are correct, it appears that it only worked on my machine because I already had the dependencies. After investigating all morning, the only solution I can come up with is for you to run these commands first:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:bartbes/love-stable
sudo apt-get install love
I'm open to suggestions about alternative approaches, but for now I might change the .deb so that it depends on love and will not allow the install until love is installed using the method above. Can you try it and let me know if that works?
That still results in the same issue, but gives me the love executable, and trying to launch the demo with it, I briefly get a window with a message saying that the version is incompatible, and then this error to terminal:
conf.lua:7: attempt to index field 'window' (a nil value)
This game was made for a version that is probably incompatible.
The game might still work, but it is not guaranteed.
Furthermore, this means one should not judge this game or the engine if not.
I ran ldd on demo-repete, which gave me:
linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007f885ec4b000)
liblove.so.0 => not found
libluajit-5.1.so.2 => not found
libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007f885e85e000)
So it looks like both the Lua and Löve needs to be packaged with it for it to work on my machine. I opened up the .deb to take a peek at your control file and it doesn't list any dependencies, so that needs to be fixed for it to work. That said, I think it might be easier to just make a tarball of the dependencies, the executable and a launcher script.
Thanks for trying. I've uploaded another .deb file, please try that and let me know if it works. I'm packaging the dependencies this time, so in theory it should work. I installed on a fresh install of Ubuntu and it worked, so hopefully it will work for you as well.
Thanks again for bringing this to my attention!