Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Related Works

A topic by triadruid created May 26, 2021 Views: 212 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Jam HostSubmitted(+3)

Just in case people don't know, there are several movies that are 'based on' "Yojimbo". The most famous of which is the Western "A Fistful of Dollars" starring Clint Eastwood, but also:

• Last Man Standing (1996) 
  • Omega Doom (1996)
  • Django (1966)
  • The Warrior and the Sorceress (1984)
Host(+3)

The Samurai Champloo double episode "Hellhounds for Hire" can also be a good example of the protagonist being a group of people interacting with the basic setup of Yojimbo, rather than a single person.

(+4)

Kurosawa drew inspiration for Yojimbo from Dashiell Hammett's pulp detective novels, Red Harvest in particular.  He restaged/adapted the story to feudal Japan (much as he did with Shakespeare in Throne of Blood and Ran).  This type of tale can be set anywhere.

(1 edit) (+3)

I would say that the video game Fallout:New Vegas has a lot of Yojmbo elements- loan wanderer controlling the fate of a territory by appealing to the various competing factions of New Vegas. 

Surpised it isn't mentioned on the main page, but For A Few Dollars More is a Yojimbo adaptation if you like Westerns!

Jam HostSubmitted (1 edit) (+1)

I think technically A Fistful of Dollars is the direct adaptation, but FAFDM definitely continues the tropes!

I always get those two mixed up, thank you!