SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

FAQ Sticky

A topic by Crystal Game Works created Oct 16, 2023 Views: 1,004 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 4
HostSubmitted (4 edits) (+3)

Q: Can I get started early?

A: Yes, but we don't allow previously finished games in the jam- you need to work on your game at least partially (not just a few days) during the jam.

Q: What engines can I use?

A: Any engine you'd like, but the final product must be a visual novel or heavily story-driven game. Some engines that are good for visual novels are listed in the Visual Novel Development Resources thread.

Q: Will there be ratings? Is this ranked?

A: No and no. This is meant to be one of the most relaxed and chill (pun intended) VN jams to end off the year. Don't treat this as a competition.

Q: Can I submit gore? Or blood? Or ero content?

A: Treat this jam as if it's PG-13. Outright depictions of sex and gore are not allowed. For everything else, use your best judgement.

Q: Can I use generative AI assets (such as assets made with Stable Diffusion, Midjourney, etc.) in my game?

A: No.

Q: Can I submit a demo or WIP game?

A: Yes.

Q: Can I make something that isn't anime-style?

A: Yes.

Q: Can I make something that isn't a dating sim or romance game?

A: Yes.

Q: Why do I have to include screenshots of my game on the itch.io page?

A: We do this because it's the bare minimum for us to see if it's a real game or not and if it's a visual novel. Players are also wary of games that don't have any screenshots as they could be viruses. You've spent a month making an entire game, you can spend 2 minutes taking and uploading screenshots.

Can we use assets from an asset store???

HostSubmitted

Yep, premade assets are perfectly fine, just be sure to double check that the assets were not generated by AI. Usually assets will be labeled as such or say what they were created with.

I want to make sure of something, I can upload a demo ok! But can I submit the project page while the game is still under development? AND then post the full game? 
Like the game is still being worked on but the page is up with all the information about the game

HostSubmitted(+1)

We prefer you only submit to the jam once a build is on the page.

Would I be able to submit a piece I plan on making during another jam that's running in tandem with this one or is that a no-no? It fits both themes so I just wanted to see if that's allowed?

HostSubmitted

That's fine.

Yay awesome tyvm