Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

monetization

A topic by Dungeons Studio created Nov 01, 2020 Views: 311 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 6

I am somewhat confused with the subject of monetization ... can I implement monetization in the following way?
for example; buy lives, special keys, ramdon chests. Can I use this type of monetization?

Web Monetization refers to this new technology

https://webmonetization.org/docs/getting-started

https://webmonetization.org/docs/api

More info on https://coil.com/

Generally you want to detect if WM is supported and paying, then unlock features / disable ads if that is the case. It could be you get unlimited lives if WM is detected, you get 1x special key a day, extra special chests spawn in the world if WM is enabled, that kind of thing.

I was thinking along the same lines, like it could be implemented to make one-time purchases to unlock in-game items, areas, or encounters, based on a transactional prompt. But, reading more about the spec (which is interesting, and makes sense for a lot of web content, like blogs or articles) it seems like the user can either be actively streaming payments to you, or not streaming them. There's no way to demand a specific one-time payment.

The response on this thread indicates that Coil only streams a specific amount per second that cannot be configured. I can't confirm yet because I ran into a javascript error when trying to sign up for  Coil account, and have emailed them about that. I don't think there are any other providers right now, but I wonder if that's a limitation of the web monetization spec, or just how Coil has decided to implement it.

So anyway, if you wanted to let the player unlock things when a certain amount has been paid, it sounds like the best you could do is keep the payments streaming, and keep track of the total amount paid over time, and then use that to determine what they can access.

Another thing you might do, since you can start & stop the money stream programmatically, is have areas, challenges, or other content that a player must stream payments for while that content is being accessed. Maybe you could have bonus areas that allow a player to "catch up" on some in-game resource in exchange for streaming micropayments. You could even put a time limit on those areas to maintain game balance, and stop payments when the time runs out or the player leaves.

Host

Yeah, so the purpose of Web Monetization is not to be another system for active in-app purchases or tipping. It is supposed to be used for streaming of micropayments. Creators should get rewarded automatically and instantly through many many small streams of revenue coming from active use of the content they provide, be it an article, a video or a game.

So think about ways in which you can reward web monetized players as they play your game. One very obvious way is of course to disable ads for a web monetized player. But that is not very integrated into the gameplay experience. How can you tie web monetization to the main game mechanics or meta game? Do they have access to otherwise restricted content? Do they get some kind of bonus? Counters/timers that increase/decrease faster?

(Side-note: Web Monetization itself is based on the Interledger protocol which also can be used for direct payments of any amount)

Host

We've tried to summarize the topic of web monetization here: https://itch.io/jam/the-web-monetization-challenge-2020/topic/1047889/about-web-...

(1 edit)

Let's see if I understand, people who are partners the coil have benefits in the game and practically pay us.
while the rest do not have these benefits
If so, I would not know what games use that platform coil that gives me those benefits
first time I hear about this platform, I would like to know more ...

It's a new technology so very few games use WM at the moment. If a game wants to offer benefits to WM users they should mention it to incentivize people to use it and pay the game creator (plus others).