Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Why my strategy might not work after Submission...

A topic by Kaylerr created Apr 06, 2022 Views: 62 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

...no, not that type of submission. I mean after submitting my games - weirdo. Anyway. 

I just finished two video games for the Scratch Game Jam 3, and currently regretting this decision, so, here's a little post on it.

Why the regret?

These games seem kinda half done, although the premises are extremely different, don't do what i've done.  I spent 4 days taking myself to the extreme, pressuring myself with something i shouldn't have done. I have done it though. 

Hates, Regrets, Tips:

I hated that i lost half of my project on Balls. (basically just introduction animations and a few TurboWarp addons, but...) i also hated that i lost almost 70 minutes of a YouTube video because i kept Flashback Xpress on pause.

Regrets? Making more than one game. If you truely want quality, you make ONE game in 1 week, not 2 games in 6 1/2 days.  that just doesn't add up. I'm very lucky that the Balls. game was not an over ambitious idea, and that i could get it done in less than 2 days (i proved myself wrong, i got it done in about 7 hours over 2 days.), and that making a game look like that would take not much of a stretch with time.

Tips? I don't have any yet. I will write a Post-Mortem when the gamejam is fully over, that means rankings and everything.

Why my strategy might not work:

The quality, like i said before, of the two games are astounding. Like, there's barely any bloom or any sort of polishing done on either game, so you get them as is. I've seen way better games than the 2 of mine combined, although their premises seem a bit boring and overused. I'm lucky that at least one of my games hasn't been done before on these submissions yet, (a rhythm game) and that, that rhythm game seems quite graphics-wise and more polished than the other. My strategy might not work because of how hard it is to look at, or the playability of this game. I couldn't play Balls. for more than about 5 minutes because of the insane difficulty after the first 4 minutes (which i highly reccomend you play and rank...!) 

All in all...
Don't do what i did. Seriously, like, it's not gonna work. I was extremely confident about it, but i have regrets. If you have 2 weeks to make a jam, have 2 games, but if not, 1 game is better than none. 1 game is always better than none.

alr see you later

Submitted

I did it and i think it worked... Well at least for me! :)