Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Some jam tips from someone who's done >100 jams ๐Ÿ˜‚

A topic by WayfarerGames created Nov 19, 2021 Views: 199 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted(+2)

Thought I'd spew out my general jam best practices list - feel free to add more in the comments:

1. SLEEP ENOUGH. DRINK LOTS OF WATER. EAT HEALTHY SHIT. Seriously, don't go too hard. You'll make far too many stupid mistakes if you're tired/dehydrated/surviving on pizza, Monster and Doritos.
  2. Check your scope! Try aim for something you think you can do in just one day, then add to that if you've got time. Honestly I'd put this as number one if people stopped destroying their bodies during game jams, but alas...
  3. Build early, build often. I always try have a playable build ready and being played after about 6-8 hours of work. Getting your core done early means you can get feedback, but also the process of building and uploading to Itch can introduce a few really weird bugs. Specifically, Unity's WebGL implementation is trash and usually causes some weirdo issue or another.
  4. If you're stuck, ask for help! It looks like there's a fairly active Discord server - I've just joined, and there'll be many other people in the same boat. Don't sit there agonising for hours, a second pair of eyes on your code can often solve things straight away.
  5. Get up and go for a walk. This doesn't have to be your whole life for a week. Some fresh air, some social contact, etc will do you a world of good. Particularly if you've got a stubborn problem and the above advice hasn't worked yet!
  6. If you don't have an idea straight away, you can still hop into your engine and make a menu system. Best to get that out of the way first ๐Ÿ˜‰
  7. "Theme" is only one category! If there's something you want to make, make it. I guess at the very least, make it have a lot of bullets/projectiles given that this is the bullet hell jam, but when the theme is revealed don't worry too much about it if you don't have something that fits. It is a jumping board - NOT a road block!
  8. Have fun! Don't worry about your rating, don't compare yourself to other games. If you finish something, you have something to be proud of. Hell, if you don't finish anything - you've probably learned a lesson about scope 
Host(+1)

thanks for this man

Submitted

hi score space :D