Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

recreated RTP? Locked

A topic by Despair Party Works created Sep 04, 2020 Views: 168 Replies: 3
This topic was locked by StudioBlue Oct 01, 2020

Judging and voting ended. All comments should be moved to the "Final Scores and Community Award Results" topic...!

Viewing posts 1 to 4

Wanted to use upscaled XP trees I did, but not sure if it quite counts?

For context, I upscaled them by nearest neighbour, then redrew all the boxed edges to recreate the original look. I feel like the process took so much time (about 2 days to pull off 1 tree) that it counts as something I made, but it's based on a previous maker's RTP & isn't quite draw-over, so I'm not sure where it lands.

Host

Hey there! Let us make sure that we understand this. Did you:

1. You took stuff from XP, then upscaled and modify it, so that it's an XP resource, but with your edits?

2. You took stuff from XP, upscaled it, and then traced over it with your work to make it similar, but your own?

Just so we can answer properly, which one is what you're doing closest to?

I think...that actually depends on the asset?

Bushy tree had the 1-pixel outer lines adjusted, then I painted over the rest with a thick brush; you can tell by the grainy, pillowy effect.

The barren tree was too crushed up from the upscaling process because of the curved lines; I had to redraw it completely. No ambiguity there.

The wide tree was edited a little more carefully because of how small the leaves were; I had to go down it chunk-by-chunk to redraw the edges of each spot of colour, like I would with lineart. This is the 2 day tree. It is more or less "drawing over" the image, but it was all done on the same layer, simply because of how pixel art works. I don't really have any way of knowing how much was "my" work in that case. Judging from the fact every leaf was originally a perfect rectangle, presumably more than 80% is my work, but.... ????

Similar problem of ambiguity with this white bridge: the "lineart" was redrawn, but the noise was copy-pasted from the original because I had no idea how to reproduce that coloured grain, and then edited those pastes so it would fit on the boards.

Host

Hey!

If you did #1 for whatever sprite(s) are above, where it's an XP resource but with your edits, then that is not allowed since you are effectively using something other than RMMZ or your own.

If you did #2 for whatever sprite(s) are above, where you recreated, then that is fine and will be allowed.

Hope that helps!

Host locked this topic