Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Microgames?

A topic by Alicia Luna Ripp created 52 days ago Views: 887 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted(+1)

Hi, I am having trouble to understand what the term Microgame means. From what I found online, this refers to small-sized boardgames and a type of Unity game. So I guess this term refers to "small (video) games"?

Can you please explain what qualifies as microgame in the context of this bundle? If I spent months working on a game but it takes less than 30 minutes to play through it - is this still a microgame? 

Host(+4)

hi Alicia, thank you for posting!

For us, microgames are like those made for O2A2 jams -- these are 1,000-word visual novels with intentionally limited artwork. They can be great, but we wanted to adjust funding to make sure we're treating people's work as fairly as possible. Some bitsy games might fall into this category too, I would say with playtime of 5-10 minutes.

What you're describing sounds more developed, likely with more art and other assets. And, especially, if there are game mechanics involving sprites or anything like that. A full game doesn't need to be long. I'd point to "Heart Is Muscle" by heiden as a great example that's about 30 minutes long but a very complete game experience with fighting (flexing) and some fetch quests.

Does that help? Please feel free to ask more or about anything else that's on your mind. Everyone's questions are welcome!

Caroline