SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

HyperSpace Maintenance Wizards

A topic by dvd created Oct 28, 2022 Views: 156 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
(1 edit) (+1)

Hi folks.

I'm working on a concept for a combined text-based and 2D visual multiplayer game. For the text component, I am looking at the source code to Federation 2 as the core engine (C++ based). The XML level format is relatively straightforward, but many of the scripting components are a little outdated. I'm considering the single-player Inform authoring engine, but that may be too ambitious for just one weekend.

For the graphical component, there is the Tiled Map Editor and WorkAdventure. To get the skeleton started, I'm aiming to compile tilesets and maps based on the six "stock planets" from this list:

The original Multi-User Galaxy Game used the concept of hyperspace "links" to connect and group player-created content, a couple years before the first release of the Hyper Text Transfer Protocol. This concept is about the previously unknown wizards who use their Light Wands to build and maintain the portals for interstellar travel. The magic system involves three simple classes: Red Wizards, Green Wizards, and Blue Wizards. Creating a new hyperspace portal involves three or more wizards, all modulating their magic intensity between 0 and 255. (Well, that's how we'll *program* the system, but the player shouldn't need to know this level of detail.)

Feedback and contributions appreciated!

Early concept art, courtesy Jess Chitas.