Jobs
Tags

F.A.Q. Sticky Locked

A topic by Unknown Dungeon created Jul 04, 2022 Views: 472
This topic was locked by Unknown Dungeon Jul 04, 2022
Viewing posts 1 to 2
HostSubmitted

What is a one-page RPG?

For the purposes of this jam, a one-page RPG is a tabletop roleplaying game where the rules fit onto a single page of letter/A4 paper. They are rules-lite by necessity.

Does it have to be one page?

For the jam, your submission should fit onto a single sheet of paper but can be across both sides. Try to keep core rules onto a single side, with ancillary info, GM tools, etc on the reverse. The sheet could be a flat sheet or folded into a pamphlet. If your game has character sheets they can also be separate. 

Ask yourself the question “can a group of players pick up the front page, read it through, then start playing the game without additional info?”. If the answer is yes, you’re in good shape.

The important thing is that your submission is not half-a-dozen pages of text that players have to read first in order to play your game. For example, Tunnel Goons (by Nate Treme) is over two smaller pages, and most 24XX games (by Jason Tocci) are across three half-pages, but you’d be hard pressed to argue that philosophically they aren’t a one-page RPG, especially if they can be printed on a single sheet.

Can I include extra information on a character sheet?

Including full game rules on a character sheet that don’t exist elsewhere is probably pushing the spirit of the jam. If players need to read through a character sheet to understand the game, then those rules should probably be on the main page. That said you could include some ancillary information about different characters, or rule reminders to make play smoother. 

How necessary are character sheets?

To some extent it depends on the game and the information you want the players to track, but 90% of one-page RPGs don't have, or need, character sheets. Often just expecting players to keep track on paper is enough.

What size paper should I use?

You can use either US Letter (8.5 × 11 inches) or A4 (297 x 210 mm) sized paper. You can use smaller sized paper if you feel the need, but nothing larger. Additionally, it's okay for the design to be folded, but avoid more than a couple of folds (in-half or trifold is okay, mini-zine less so). 

What font size should I use?

Personally I think font size is somewhat of a red herring; the important thing is that the design is easy to read, and the text is as efficient as possible at explaining the game. Having said that, I wouldn’t go below 8pt-8.5pt for most fonts, and trying to stick closer to 10pt is great.

Is the jam ranked?

The jam is not ranked, and there are no judges. The spirit of the jam is to as welcoming and experimental as possible, without worrying about being judged.

However if you see a game you like, be sure to rate it and leave a comment, and share the game with others you think would like it too.

Is it okay to submit the same game  to this and to another jam at the same time?

Absolutely, as long as the game was made during the duration of this jam and fit the brief. Please do not submit older games or games that are not one-page RPGs.

HostSubmitted locked this topic