Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Is Anyone Good With Titles?

A topic by PyrrhaIphis created Nov 04, 2020 Views: 115 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted(+1)

I am terrible at naming things.  Could anyone help suggest a title for the project I'm starting out this jam working on?

It's a piece of interactive fiction, adapting and expanding the first chapter of a novel I wrote back in 2014.  It's set in the Late Bronze Age on the isle of Lesbos, about seventeen years after the Trojan War ended.  In the prologue of the novel (and the pre-title screen of the game), just weeks before his own death, Achilles has to go to Lesbos for reasons, accompanied by Odysseus, and as they're both lecherous horndogs, they both get one of the female slaves pregnant before they leave the next  morning.  And their daughters are our heroines, seventeen years later.

The plot of the game is about the two girls (who are cousins, as their mothers were sisters) learning that their master plans to separate them, giving one to a Thessalian horse-breeder who's currently visiting him, and the other to a mysterious man from the far north.  Being separated is the one thing the girls cannot allow to happen to them, so they make up their minds and escape.  The interactivity is in that there are two places where you can follow one girl but not both, and then in the course of their escape you can decide what items they should try to obtain to take with them, giving multiple game-over scenarios.  (The main body of the novel, of course, was what happened after their escape, when they met up with another offspring of one of the Greek heroes of the war, and went to the partially rebuilt Troy and helped fight off a terrible threat not only to the people of Troy but also to the gods themselves.  The book's title is not yet certain, either, as its first title was awful, but I'm thinking of calling it The Walls of Troy, which doesn't mean much in or out of context, but is at least moderately punchy and not as spoilery as the first title was.  Said book will probably also get converted into a game, because I had fun writing all the ways things could have gone wrong for them.)

I have no idea what to call this game version of their escape from slavery, though.  Anyone have any ideas?  (The girls are named Atalanta and Ariadne, btw, if that helps any.  Because...actually, I don't even remember anymore why I wanted to name them after those two famous heroines.  But we know women in historic times were sometimes named after mythical heroines, so why wouldn't they be named after them while it was still the Heroic Age?)

Host (1 edit) (+1)

The premise reminds me of The Suppliants (and the modern reconstruction The Suppliant Women), and also The Eumenides. With that in mind I'd make the name sound like a Greek play. "The Two Cousins", "The Cousins", "Atlantia & Ariadne", "The Escape", "The Strong Women", "The Determined Women", "Heroines of Lesbos" something along those lines but connected with the game.

Submitted(+2)

Oh, I like that.  Thanks!  I think I'll go with "The Cousins" since there's a lot of emphasis on their relationship, and also because I figured out how to say it in Ancient Greek.  :P   (Okay, technically what I found was "kinswomen" not "cousins" because apparently only men got to be cousins, but...close enough...)