SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Be Seeing You

A topic by Tanya Floaker created Nov 01, 2020 Views: 260 Replies: 12
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Host

Be Seeing You
A game about Independence, Surveillance, Freedom and Compliance.

Inspired by The Prisoner, We, Situationists, Dada, parkour, the Spy Cop revelations, neighbourhood resistance to the Home Office, CamOver, Kae Tempest, V for Vendetta, and the mass normalisation of surveillance throughout the UK.

+++ Do not watch this space. This space is watching you. +++

Host (3 edits)

BE SEEING YOU  - WORK IN PROGRESS - FEEDBACK WELCOMED
A game about Independence, Control, Freedom and Compliance.

AREAS OF CONTROL

At the start of the game each person selects one of the following AREAS OF CONTROL:

• Surveillance (CCTV, grasses, phone taps, social media)
  • Physical violence (physical intimidation, police, prison)
  • Social (Institutions, healthcare, interpersonal violence)
  • Economic (access to resources, scarcity, technology, work offices)
  • Information (what is happening, what is known, law, tradition)

At the start of the game select  one person to begin in the role of The Prisoner. If this cannot be decided mutually then the person who has most recently been the harassed in some way by the State takes the role. The other players are collectively referred to as The Village.

THE VILLAGE

The Village set and narrate scenes. Each person that is part of The Village can introduce, narrate and have final say over elements in the fiction that fall within their AREA OF CONTROL.  This includes characters, situations, institutions, plots, devices or anything that they argue falls within their purview.  A member of The Village cannot narrate anything they are unable to argue falls within their AREA OF CONTROL. 

AREAS OF CONTROL purposefully overlap. This may lead to conflict and contradiction as narration of an ambiguous part of the fiction is taken one way or another. This is may happen for as long as everyone finds it acceptable. If anyone finds it unacceptable then the uninvolved players decide the outcome.

The Village always tries to meet these goals:

• To understand the reasons for a Prisoner wanting to leave The Village
  • To preserve and expand the power of The Village
  • To prevent The Prisoners from escaping

THE PRISONER

The Prisoner can only narrate their thoughts, feelings or actions. However, the outcomes of these are controlled by The Village.  The Prisoner always tries to reach the following goals:

• To find out who is in charge of The Village
  • To escape from The Village
  • To keep your reasons for wanting to escape private

If The Prisoner is not willing to settle with an outcome given by The Village they may:

• RESIST and gain a INDEPENDENCE token
  • Spend an INDEPENDENCE token and gain some FREEDOM
  • RESIGN and select another player to become The Prisoner

RESISTANCE

If The Prisoner RESISTS then The Village will narrate one of the following ways that they try to BREAK them:

• Restrain, injure or immobilise The Prisoner
  • Confuse, undermine, or frustrate the efforts of The Prisoner
  • Co-opt, house-train or institutionalise The Prisoner

If The Prisoner RESISTS for a second time then the effects leave them BROKEN.

BROKEN

The Village narrates  the current plans of The Prisoner failing but also them change in tactics by The Village in order to meet its goals. The person playing The Prisoner picks another player at the table. This person takes on narrating The Prisoner. The other players, including the person who had been The Prisoner up to now, take on the role of The Village.

INDEPENDENCE

If The Prisoner gains FREEDOM then they may narrate one of:

• Subverting one AREA OF CONTROL that will aid The Prisoner
  • Avoiding  one AREA OF CONTROL so it cannot target The Prisoner
  • Outsmarting one AREA OF CONTROL so that it is one step behind The Prisoner

If The Prisoner gains FREEDOM twice before being BROKEN then they select an AREA OF CONTROL which is RETIRED.

RETIREMENT

When an AREA OF CONTROL is RETIRED it is no longer part of The Village and its player can no longer be selected as The Prisoner. They may add narration to scenes related to relaxation, obsolescence, or redundancy. When The Village BREAKS The Prisoner, a RETIREE may narrate one final use of their AREA OF CONTROL that will cause the attempt to BREAK The Prisoner to fail. The Prisoner still gains their INDEPENDENCE token but does not count as being closer to being BROKEN.

When there are only two players left who have not been RETIRED then we enter the FALL OUT.

FALL OUT

From now on:

• If The Prisoner is BROKEN then The Village wins. The Prisoner learns that they are in charge of The Village and that they can never escape. Each player gives a short vignette on how their AREA OF CONTROL (re-)asserts dominance.
  • If the final AREA OF CONTROL is RETIRED then The Prisoner discovers that they were in charge of The Village all along and that they can escape whenever they want. Each player gives a short vignette on how their AREA OF CONTROL is finally abolished.
Host

From now on I'll be editing this first draft of the rules here.

I'm loving what you're going for with this, Tanya! (especially after watching some Prisoner 馃憖). I think the nature of the players working  and plotting together but also against each other can be a quite interesting dynamic. 

From what you have written down I'm wondering if you already have some ideas on how to handle the resolution of the Resistance vs. Breaking the Prisoner. I'm curious if you plan it to be a quick resolution with rolling or if you envision it as a longer scene with backs and forths!

Host (2 edits)

"From what you have written down I'm wondering if you already have some ideas on how to handle the resolution of the Resistance vs. Breaking the Prisoner. I'm curious if you plan it to be a quick resolution with rolling or if you envision it as a longer scene with backs and forths!"

Thank you for such a posi look at my first draft.

I wasn't clear enough on this, but the token gathering/spending is the mechanics, so no rolling. When The Prisoner RESISTS then The Village will BREAK them down. However, they will build up INDEPENDENCE tokens which can be spent for FREEDOM and the removal of control over their life. As the AREAS OF CONTROL over The Prisoner are reduced we get closer and closer to FALL OUT, where either the individual SUBMITS by the state of affairs and submits to being controlled or The Prisoner understands the INTERCONNECTED nature of life and gains lasting freedom through this. I'll try to tighten up my text.

As for how long you decide to narrate if, that kinda sits with each table at the moment. Do you think it would it be better if I were to give some stricter scene framing?  

Uhhm, right! I imagined that would be the case, I just wasn't understanding you could choose one or the other.

> As for how long you decide to narrate if, that kinda sits with each table at the moment. Do you think it would it be better if I were to give some stricter scene framing?  

Not necessarily! From reading the text I got the sensation the game could either play at a slower pace or pretty fast depending on the group. I think it might be cool to have some sample courses of action for each Area of Control that give scene seeds, but not necessarily a stricter scene framing. I'm just making things up though. It will be easier to have a clearer opinion after trying it out!

Host(+1)

Scene seeds! I love that idea. I think the game has defo grown from the A5 (folded A4 sheet) game I thought it was, up to a small A6 pocket zine, and now with this would probs be a better suited to an proper A5 zine. Woo-wee! 

Any suggestions for scene seeds would be welcomed!

oh nooooo don't give yourself more work馃槅

sure, if anything sparks my mind i'll let you know !

Host

I now have a Spotify Playlist for BE SEEING YOU.

Host(+1)

Hi all,

I'm looking for any feedback on this mock-up Back/Front cover design for the game. I've also been updateing the game (link above). 

Cheers in advance
x

Host

Be Seeing You v0.2

I'm looking for suggestions on what shifts in setting/perception/self take place as CONTROL increases. Any thoughts welcome.

I'm also running another playtest at 1930 GMT on Monday 23rd if anyone here wants in?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D1BETIRr2tMf4KFj-a1HYrG8H9WIkyu_xwnQ11UEM1U/edit?usp=drivesdk

Host

Host

And that's me done folks! Full game, played several times, and thoroughly talked about with others.