Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Plant Bonds (working title)

A topic by tiger created Jan 29, 2023 Views: 314 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 6
(+3)

The first thing that comes to mind with growth is something involving plants, so most of my ideas ended up revolving around caring for a plant.

The game i settled on is a roguelike game where you're trying to get ur plant to a plant store, because something is wrong with your plant and u need expert advice. the problem is that you live in the middle of nowhere, so you need to travel far to get to anyone who can help ur plant. you have to navigate the obstacles fast enough to get there in time before your plant gets too thirsty and you have to run home to water it again.

its intended to be very difficult to reach the end with the forest you travel through being different each run. there are spots along the path where you will be able to refill your plants water, and there are also enemies who will drain your plants water.

as you attempt to get to the plant store, your bond with your plant will grow. this will persist across runs. you may also be able to unlock different npcs who youll be able to meet on future runs, and may sell you items that help you or your plant.

you and your plant have skills and skill trees that allow you to unlock different skills that will help you in your runs. youll unlock skills and skill slots by bonding and progressing.

thats roughly what ive planned out for the game. not sure ill be able to do everything i want to before the jam ends, but im gonna create a fun basic gameplay loop. and then expand on it as time allows

the first day of the jam i didnt do very much. i made a character sprite, then squished it down cuz i wanted her smaller.

other than that i mostly napped because i had a huge headache today. hopefully itll calm down tomorrow so i can start programming.

the plus side of spending all day in bed napping is that i found myself thinking a lot about long term plans for this game. especially thought a lot abt what the themes of the game might be if i expand on it post-jam. i have some pretty exciting post-jam plans now that i wont talk abt yet :)

the player sprite, pre-squish
the player sprite, post-squish
(4 edits) (+2)

Day 2

today i worked on implementing movement. i'll probably be tinkering with it a lot but it's good for now. i added running, jumping, wall jumping and coyote timers. next step is to add attacking and dodging.

video of running and jumping

Submitted(+2)

I love the character. It looks great.

thank u!

(+2)

Day 7

u can kill the little guy

(+3)

Day 8

the little guy tries to get revenge?!

Submitted

I love the design and feel of this! Everything is so smooth so far and I'm excited to see where you go with this!

good animation and design is soo cute. i can't wait the full version.