Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Untitled Witch Game DEVLOG

A topic by smallcatstudio created Jan 11, 2021 Views: 188 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 8
(+2)

Here we go again! I've had a bit of a slow start this time, so for my first devlog, I'm gonna give you a basic overview on what I'm planning! The general concept is a farming/foraging sim where you play as the resident witch for a small town, gathering ingredients for spells to help the townsfolk out in their lives. I have a lot of plans for eventually, but the jam scope is going to be a couple small areas and just one quest to complete, as a kind of concept demo. 

DAY 1+2

So my actual tangible progress so far is: I have a Godot file and the beginnings of the first tileset. And a lot of planning documents to (hopefully) help me keep myself on track. 

Here's the tileset so far! I'm planning to use the same art and just recolor it for the different areas, and then populate them with different plants and things to make them feel unique. 

As always, I have a Trello for this(click here if interested!) and this time I'm planning to stream a lot of my (that  work, so check out my Twitch if you want to see what I'm up to! 

Submitted(+1)

I love this concept!! 

(1 edit)

Thank you!

Submitted(+3)

I'm a sucker for witches, and I'm a long time Harvest Moon fan, so I am HYPED for this! Good luck! 

Submitted(+1)

"The general concept is a farming/foraging sim where you play as the resident witch for a small town, gathering ingredients for spells to help the townsfolk out in their lives." 

Wish the best to you amd your project! I love it! Can't wait to play!

(+2)

Day 3:

This was an art day. I finished up the tileset I'm using for the base ground and did 2 of the 3 walking animations I needed. I had a full shift at work, so I didn't get much more than that done, but look at how cute she is!

Day 4:

I got a ton done! I streamed for like 4 and a half hours and worked on finishing up the animation and plugging it into Godot so that there is now a character that you can move. I didn't run into any major problems other than just being out of practice with the engine (maybe I should use it more than twice a year...). I then started figuring out the basics of the big grimoire reference system I'm going to have. I think I have a handle on how I'm implementing that, we'll have to see how it goes when I actually sit down to write it out. 

I also did some writing for the intro mission that I'm including with the jam demo. You'll be approached by an elderly lady, wanting to open a bakery to finally live her dreams of being a baker in the last few years of her life. She asks you to bring prosperity to the business and give her the strength to make it successful. I haven't settled on what specific components you'll need to gather for it, but I do have a general idea of how the spellcrafting system is going to work. I just need to decide on what specific plants you'll be looking for and then write up grimoire entries for them. I think I'm on track to have something worth showing by the end, and something at least playable for the mid-jam playtest! 

Submitted(+1)

Witches and farming, 10/10 combo. The idea for the intro mission sounds so sweet, too—looking forward to playing this game! ^^

(+1)

Great concept and the art looks great as well. Good luck.

Submitted

I love the art!! That walk cycle is soooo good