SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Formerly, A Confession - VN Devlog.

A topic by GoingGoingKeith created Jan 10, 2021 Views: 914 Replies: 31
Viewing posts 1 to 21
Submitted (3 edits) (+3)

Formerly, A Confession

Hi, my name is Keith, and for this game jam, I'll be making a short Visual Novel- Formerly,  A Confession.  A story about talking to your cute childhood friend as you reminisce about your memories together. I'll be updating this thread most days, if I'm not busy. Hopefully Everyday.

Basic Premise

You are the Main Character (Changeable name, don't know if I can code pronouns, but I'll try) who comes back to visit your bestfriend, Kiyon, at his house for his eighteenth birthday. He's going to be leaving to college soon, and this might be the last time you'll ever get to meet him like this.

Day 1

I started the day by converting what was a fantasy version of the current premise. But just decided to go with my gut in this one and convert it to a modern day era. Pumped out 4k words, which leaves one more scene, and 2 endings left to write tomorrow. Which, if it works out nicely, is going to convert into a neat 5k, 30 min game. It leaves me tomorrow to write the last few scenes, and then begin to import it into Ren'Py. 

Some art will be coming soon, hopefully. I need to bust down and draw it soon.

Don't mind the dumb dialogue lmao
Submitted

Hi there! Love me some casual visual novels! As for programming player pronouns, I highly recommend the Lemmasoft forums: https://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45971 

Good luck on your project! Looking forward to it!

Submitted

Thanks! The thread is definitely useful, and I might be able to get the pronoun function in.

Submitted

Whoa, that's some major writing progress already. Best of luck!

Submitted

Thanks! You too

Submitted(+1)
Day 2

Some more words! The script ended up doubling, which...is new. I expected to do about 5k, but it's 8k now. I'll try and do corrections later, right now my focus is getting the gameplay out of the way. Today I basically planned nothing to do but work on this game, so progress might not be as fast the next few days. I started to import some scenes and even did menus, so I think that's it for today. Tomorrow, it would be really nice to get the whole thing imported into Ren'Py with the menu functions. 

Aahh...I wanna make this thing look pretty but it'll have to wait.

Whoops
Ah yes, true culture.
Host

ohhh i love really specific, bittersweet game concepts like this one. it sounds perfectly scoped for this jam too. i'm wishing you the best of luck--i can't wait to see this with visuals!

Submitted

Thank you! The angst ended up a bit stronger than I planned lol

Submitted(+1)

Day 3

I woke up at-- 1:00! Jesus! And I had some things I had to do that day, and didn't end up working on the game until 5. Oh god. I've imported all the dialogue, and did the menu for the flow. Through out the development, I'll keep an eye on things like grammar and story flow etc through the routes. So things done today:

- Dialogue, Options, and Routes

- Pronouns

I'm trying to make a screen where you can configure your name, and pronouns, instead of typing it on the textbox. I'm new to programming, so I've been pounding my head trying to get this to work. If you're familiar with Renpy then this might be really easy, but...The way that that I configured the pronouns is with booleans.

Ie;

if Male (True) // Use he pronouns through the game. 

if Neutral(True) //Use they pronouns through the game.

There's probably a more efficient way to do this.
Here you can see the system. And below is the screen that I've been testing.

Don't mind the comic sans!
So the theory goes that if I press the hotspot "he", the dialogue will show the pronoun "he" instead of the default, "they". But, that hasn't worked so far. Worst comes to worst it'll just have to be the in game menu. If you have any theories because I am literally clueless, then I'd appreciate it. Next things to do are placeholder images and backgrounds for the gameplay before I work on the UI.
Submitted(+1)

Haha you would think it would be simpler, but this is a problem with English, not Python. We just have so... So many pronouns. As for using a screen instead of a menu... I wouldn't recommend it. Lots of variables to keep track of there. It would probably just be simpler to use the in-game menu system instead. You could kind of fudge the menu limitation and use a special set of images to make it look like a screen, though. Something like this:

Then reset it back to your defaults once the gender portion is done.  As for the script file, it would still look something like this:

But that's just how English works. Down with English. Booooo. 

Good luck on your project, [BlueberryBlanketPronoun] am rooting for you!

Submitted(+1)

Actually, thought about it more during my commute, and you could use a screen. Something like this:

(Ignore the random placement of the imagebuttons, I quickly cannibalized my map screen for this, you can set them wherever you want, or make an hbox with them in it.)

Then, in the script call it like this:

Repeat for all genders, with a pass for they/them. Hope this helps!

Submitted(+1)

Wow! Thanks! This is super helpful, I really appreciate the help. The whole concept of screens in Ren'Py is pretty new so I'm trying to wrap my head around it. Thank you so much.

Submitted (1 edit)

Day 4 Which officially means there are only 10 more days in the jam.

Well, today was another long day. I added my first visuals to the game, some of the final backgrounds, and a placeholder sprite so when I make Kiyon's sprites, all I'll have to do is paste it in the folder. I used the config.automatic_images function in Ren'Py so I didn't have to define each of them. Added some sprite changes, a few flags so that all routes would make (some) sense, and generally just did my first pass on the visuals. The next time I come back to edit it would probably be to add Miyuki (another character), her expressions, some new animations would be nice too. Tomorrow I'll be getting into GUI, which is new....So that leaves tomorrow:

• Logo, Textbox, Main Menu BGs
  • Refine Name Screen
  • Maybe plot out some perspective for Miyuki's room + hallway (?!)

I can't wait to play all the games after the jam is done tbh.

Submitted(+1)

Looking good! If I end up doing a VN where you actually input a name and play as the protagonist, I'd like to implement some pronoun code too. Very interesting to read how you and BlueberryBlanket went about it ^^

Submitted(+1)

Thanks! BluberryBlanket was really helpful and I'm glad I got their help on this. Good luck on your game I'm really excited to play it.

I love the concept and the art looks fantastic. Looks like you are doing a lot of work, keep up the pace and good luck. I love some visual novels so I can't wait to play this one.

Submitted

Thank you, I'm spending most of the next week making assets for the art game, so I hope it'll look good

Submitted(+1)

Day 5

This day...sigh...Did not go as planned. Long story short, I ended up spending 7 hours on Inkscape doing the GUI. I like the results, however, definitely going to have a plan next time for things like this lmao. I was the most nervous about GUI in this game, so I'm glad that I atleast got some hurdles over with.  Nothing much to show since I was learning the program though.. cries in a corner.

In another file, I tested implementation, and the namebox was in the middle, and down. I'm not sure about the textbox, I might just add some transparent space in the file. I don't know how I'm going to fix the namebox though. I'm pretty confused as it is. I intentionally left out any assets I'd have to do idles, so tomorrow:

• Main Menu buttons + hover, and selection
  • Get the darn textbox and Namebox working

Title

?! 
Submitted(+1)

Oohh, I love the aesthetic, especially the logo! If you ask me, all that time was worth it! As for your namebox problem, hmm... What are your gui.name variables set at? For mine, it's:

define gui.name_xpos = 240
define gui.name_ypos = -60
define gui.name_xalign = 0.0

You'll also probably want a negative ypos value, since it sets itself relative to the textbox. Try fiddling around with those and see if that helps! Also, make sure your file is under gui/namebox.png. Good luck!

Submitted

Thanks for the advice! I ended up doing a negative ypos as you said, but also discovered that my name box had some transparent space. The issue seems to be solved, hurrah!

Submitted

Day 6 

Tomorrow it'll be the end of the first week of the Jam,  which is exciting! I think my main focus tomorrow is getting the script.rpy as smooth as I can possibly get it, but for today, I made some art assets. I'll be doing this for the majority of next week, so I thought I might as well get used to it. I made the main menu buttons, and some concept art of Kiyon and his sister, Miyuki. I'll start Kiyon's sprites tomorrow, since I'll have to color it too. Anyways, here's what I've got planned for next week.

• Day 7: Sketch + Line Kiyon, make the main menu (just buttons), add the name screen to the main game.
  • Day 8: Color Kiyon + Finalize, make the Preference Screen bar assets, try to put the preference screen above.
  • Day 9: Sketch + Line Miyuki, make Quick Selection buttons and Save + Load assets, play test some more..
  • Day 10: Finalize Miyuki, them in the game, Preference Screen some more.
  • Day 11: Main Menu Drawings, quit, overide, main menu w/o saving, name screen assets.
  • Day 12: Implement the last few assets into the game, try to finalize it as much as I can.
  • Day 13: Implement the last few assets into the game, try to finalize it as much as I can. (Music + Other stuff)
  • Day 14: cry then watch rick and morty and eat icecream I guess lmao

See ya tomorrow!

Submitted

My goodness, your art is so nice! Very smart to put together a day plan for your development—for myself and Aera, we're basically just coming up with what needs doing the day before and then making it up as we go along. Keep up the good work :>

Submitted

Hope it makes me through the jam in one piece. Thanks for your kind words!

Submitted(+1)

Day 7

"We're halfway through!"

SO TODAY, I got some okay work done. The navigation for the main menus is proving to be a challenge. I want different navigation buttons for the Game Menu screen, but everything in the Ren'Py base game is attached to the navigation preset tag, which is vertical...

Anyways, here you go, some more pics! I'm excited about the look of the main menu, and I'll have to draw the cover art soon. There is also a peak at Kiyon's sprite! Thank you so much for following the development of this game so far!! And I hope everyone that is working on this game jam is taking care of themselves and making stuff that makes them happy uwu~~ internally screams.

Submitted

Day 8

As expected, this week is very stressful, since I'm devoting a lot of time making assets, which takes longer than just coding/writing. I made Kiyon's sprite, and I tried to keep the coloring clean. I wanted to do 3 CGS, but it looks like it'll have to be shortened down to one since I have to draw the main menu too. After replacing all Kiyon's sprites, I've come acorss a problem. The character sprites seem to be placed in the middle of the screen which is highly inconvenient for zooming. I don't want to have to write 'yalign 0' every time Kiyon shows up, but I can't find anywhere in the options/screens/gui for any default sprite position to edit. Sigh...

To be honest, Kiyon looks like Craig from Dream Daddy which was totally unintended but I kind of love it.

I have to edit some more of his sprite but this is the basic gist of it.

I'll work hard tomorrow!

Ah yes, floating boy tm

Menu Tests!
Submitted

Once again, I have to say your art is 10/10 amazing! ^^

As for your sprite positioning problem, you'll want to define your transform positions somewhere, so then when you call a sprite, you don't have to set the alignment every time. It will probably look something like this (but with better names, probably):

You'll want to mess with the XY coordinates to get your sprites looking how you want them, but once you've done that, you can just say 'show X at better_center' or what have you. Apologies if you've already fixed the issue, just thought I should show how we've done it. Regardless, keep up the good work!

Submitted

Hi thanks for the reply! I managed to fix the issue by adding a yinital argument to the character, but I might have a look at defining some alignments with your tips soon when I get to cleaning up the playthrough.

Submitted

Day 9

Slightly behind in GUI making. I didn't expect it to be so time consuming, but here we are. My goals are to get all the assets in the Preferences and Save Screen done before tomorrow to have ample time to playtest the hell out of it to make sure the visual novel looks as clean as I can get it. I started on the Game Menu Screen- not super happy with the design but I'll spruce it up tomorrow. I sketched + inked Miyuki after having a small crisis. I'll start the CG drawing tomorrow, and then the main menu screen. That leaves tomorrow:

• Finish Miyuki, add her to the game.
  • Preference Screen + Save Screen
  • Draft the CG for the end

There's five days left in the jam which is a little bit of a scary thought. 

I hope to come to you tommorow with a finished Miyuki and a way better looking save screen! 

oof

lmao why is the file so big idk
Submitted(+1)

Day 10

It's finally coming together! I'm entering the late stages of development, where I am really just cleaning up everything to look nice, other than making art assets. Drawing Miyuki's sprites were slightly stressful, as well as trying to frantically make the Save and Preference screens. For some reason the bars in renpy won't work as intended. There's a small gap transparent gap in the sliders. I tried to put a focus mask on them, but it hasn't worked... Also the colors won't change if you slide it left to right. I'm a bit confused on this. Also the name box is giving me a headache-It doesn't fit the character name ..I have to sort that out.

The next 2 days is going to be a little stressful, since I have to draw some CGS, as well as cleaning up everything ..That leaves tomorrow:

• Draft the darn CG ending + main menu illustration
  • Implement Miyuki's sprites, add the audio
  • Name Screen
  • Maybe possibly draft the itch.io page?!

LEZ GO WISH ME LUCK TOMMOROW

oh look it's the pure children
Submitted(+1)

Day 11

I am stressing because I'm scrambling to do the CGS. Tomorrow, I have to complete this one, and then start the main menu image. Somewhere in between, find time to implement and decorate the name screen...sigh..For some reason, I have a weird inclination to draw Kiyon with a car, so I might do that. I added Miyuki to the game, which was nice. I have some editing on the script to do, but the bones of the game are set. There's one function that I want to implement after I'm done with the CGS and everything should be operational. Tomorrow is really art making before I playtest the hell out of it on Day 13. I may have to pull an all nighter.

In the meanwhile, please enjoy this WIP I'm so glad I made.

pwecious baby boi
Submitted(+1)

Day 12

I come to you with art! A small snapshot of the main menu picture. The CGs in the game and the main menu is done, which leaves me time to quickly add them in, and some other transitional stuff, before tomorrow, where I finally ship the game. One more post until D-Day! I can't wait to play all the games in the jam, so pumped!!

Look at this kid, he looks so happy with his life, lol

Kiyon!
Submitted(+1)

馃巿馃巻Day 13, Launch Day!馃巻馃巿

Thank you so much for following the development of Formerly, A Confession! Man it has been a tough 2 weeks..

You can download and play here: https://goinggoingkeith.itch.io/formerly-a-confession

If there are any bugs, please let me know!
I never imagined I'd be able to make a game like Formerly then, but now I can finally say that I've launched my first game. This visual novel was a very informative experience for me, and I'm excited to make more games in the future. As a big fan of the genre, I'm really glad I got my shot at making my own.  From writing, to scripting, to drawing and gui design, I can definetely say that this experience was a blast.

Time to take a nice and long nap. Thank you everyone!