SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Antarctic Blizzard

A topic by MathewHD created Jan 27, 2020 Views: 253 Replies: 12
Viewing posts 1 to 11
Submitted(+1)

Concept:

The Basic Concept is to create a Jump'n'Run style game combined with Survival Mechanics. Besides trying to climb to your Home (Your own Igloo). You also have to be on the lookout for dangerous animals and your fading warmth, which will decrease every second. It is only possible to restore your warmth at a campfire or when you finally reach your home. Until then you have to be as fast as possible and decide every few seconds if you will take the risk and walk through a Antarctic Blizzard, or if you will "stay save" and see your warmth slowly depleting.

What will you do ?  Take the risk, or stay a coward and slowly ice over. The choice is yours.

Game Engine:

I will use Unity, because I already have some programming Experience with it. This will hopefully help me to achieve my goals as fast as possible and so create the game I want in the given amount of time. I still that this will pose a  difficult task, because I never had to work with a strict time limit before, as well as a Theme. Even tough i think this will help me flourish even more and so i hope i'll achieve everything i set out to do.

Submitted(+1)

Polishing the Idea:

After some though i polished my idea and came to the conclusion that i should let the Game Play Underground most of the time this would make it possible to add a deeper layer to my game and make it much easier to get lost in a labyrinth like underground system. Your goal is still to reach the Igloo, but it is much harder now than just walk you have to carefully think which route you'll take and if you should stop at the fire-camp or  run for it.

Host(+1)

oh interesting! i'm curious to hear more about this labyrinth--it sounds like you could do some cool things with it.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Thanks a lot this really motivates me and I really appreciate you being so open and supporting of all Ideas in this Game Jam. It really helps lighten the mood.

Host

aww honestly it's really inspiring seeing so many cool ideas!

Submitted (2 edits)

First Level Creation:

I wanted to start with a Level Introduction to properly explain all controls and mechanics to the Player. I plan to make it skippable if you choose to do so. 

Some of these mechanics/controls I wanted to emphasise were:

1. Walking , The easiest Mechanic of them All
  2. Crouching, To fit even through the tiniest cracks
  3. Jumping, To jump up to the Sky
  4.  Heat, You don't want to freeze do you, so stay by the Fireplace
  5. One last Tutorial Level that combines them all

After that I will probably implement around 1-3 small Levels that will get harder.

The Tutorial is supported by the cute Penguin that will talk to you in each Level. He also changes his dialogue narrating  a short story.

Walk Tutorial Level:

Jump Tutorial Level:

Crouch Tutorial Level:

Submitted

Progress:

I added a complete new Level that is about thrice as big as the other three levels and is also the first one to be somewhat of a challenge. I also added some Effects to the Camp Fire to indicate in which Zone you won't loose energy, because after some play testing I realised that you as a player have no clue where the fire will stop the Freezing and where it won't.

To-Do:

I plan to finally implement some Animations in the next days, because the whole levels is still very static . I especially want to create a Walk-Animation, i wonder if I'm able to create a even nearly decent one and of course some Idle for the Player and the Penguin :P

Submitted

Animations

After some work, I could create some minimalist Animations I know they aren't really good but I like them, mainly because i created them myself :P Later I added them into Unity and made them display correctly and at the right time.

Crouching:

Jumping:

Walking:

Submitted

Pinguin Idle:

I added a Pinguin Idle as well

Submitted

Plans:

I still plant to implement more stuff, so the next things I want to do are

• Enemy (Ice Bear)
  • Attack Animation (Throwing SnowBall)
  • More Levels
Submitted

Update: 

After some workarounds I finally added an Enemy, with a Walk Animations as well as added another Level.

Submitted

I added more Particles and Sounds, as well as Screen shake to create a more satisfying Jump.

Submitted(+1)

As a Finale I added a WebGL Project so you can play my Game in the Browser as well as an executable.