SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Snow Day

A topic by starmuffin created Jan 26, 2020 Views: 247 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 7
(+2)

About me:

Yo. I'm Patt! I've wanted to make video games for a long time but I've only recently been letting myself consider seriously doing it, and as scared as I was to commit to trying to complete something for this jam, I'm also very excited to learn more about how game dev works! It is also extremely on brand for me to be late to posting this; I spent most of yesterday just brainstorming what my idea was even going to be because, in typical fashion, I forgot the jam officially started the 25th and hadn't made much of a plan at all, haha. On the bright side, I'll truly get to experience what I can do in only 2 weeks!

My favorite games are mystery-solving, puzzle-ish visual novel-type games -- Ace Attorney, Danganronpa, Zero Escape, Ghost Trick, Professor Layton, etc. I've also loved point and click games ever since I played my CD-ROMs of Pajama Sam, Freddi Fish, and Putt-Putt into the ground as a kid. My dream is to someday make a game that's more interactive than just clicking through a straight chain of dialogue options, but I feel like said purely-VN game will probably suit the purposes of learning and getting something done for this jam just fine. 

About the game:

I will be making a visual novel using Ren'py, which I have messed around with a little bit, but never enough to make a full game.

The premise: Two childhood best friends are brought back together by chance during a sudden snowstorm. Will they put aside their differences and reconnect, or will they wait out the storm in stunted silence? What will they do when echoes of a past long forgotten turn out to be more than the faded memories they thought they'd left behind?

I would post character sheets right about here, but truth be told, I'm not done with finalizing the designs yet. (Cough, or even their names, cough.) I know how easily I'll get sucked into the hole of character designing, and in the hopes that it'll keep me better on track, my current plan is to start with the plot -- script and coding -- and make my way to the specific details later. I guess, starting from the basic skeleton and adding onto that? 

We'll see how it goes! Like I said, this is my first attempt at game making, so I'm trying not to expect too much from myself. I have a tendency to get ahead of myself with grand ideas for projects and then never finish them, so the main goal for this jam for me is to just get something finished and not worry about it being perfect right away!!

Host(+1)

oh i loooove those types of games! and there isn't a really great free (other than AGS, which is a little dated) option for making them right now so honestly a VN is a great way to scope down an adventure game while still retaining the overall design! i love the premise so far, and i feel like it definitely could have multiple interpretations of the "cold" theme too, so i'm really interested in seeing your characters. best of luck with the jam!

Thank you very much! (Geez, yes, adventure was in fact the genre of game I was looking for, lol. I always forget what it's called :P)

(+1)

Just a quick update before the day is technically over here - my murder board outline of sticky notes is progressing, and I'll definitely have to decide on which ideas are essential and which aren't, but at the very least the major plot threads are starting to come together, and I think I have successfully managed to limit myself to 3 endings (and maaaaybe one "hidden" ending, if i have the time), so yay! For now, bedtime, but tomorrow I'll be hashing out those essentials vs non essentials! Maybe when I'm done I'll post a photo of my mess so that the evidence of my very shakey organizational skills are saved for posterity :P

(Side note on that: I did start looking into some of those websites that can do branching web / flow chart type things, but there were too many options and I started to slip into "procrastinate by over-focusing on unimportant details" mode, so I decided to go old school and break out my colored sticky notes. That being said, if anyone has recommendations for sites that are easy to use, I would definitely love to check them out and would appreciate any words of wisdom anyone has to offer!!)

Host(+1)

honestly sticky notes are perfect!! i think i've seen quite a few flowchart-ish sites but i haven't used them in a while, but if you come across one that's very useful feel free to share!

(1 edit) (+2)

Here it is, my mess of sticky notes. Spoilers, I guess? I have today off in an unusual turn of events, so I'm going to try my best to make the most of it and really get into the writing and coding. These notes are for the first half of the game, but I'm not allowing myself to even do notes for the rest because I want to be happy with what I make even if I can only get the first half done these 2 weeks. If i end up needing more time, I'll probably do a sort of "chapter 2" thing (after the jam is done), but I'm hoping that won't be the case! I may or may not try to get some character / background art sketches done today, too! I'll probably try to check back in with progress tonight, or maybe tomorrow morning.

Edit: just noticed all of my Endings sticky notes were out of frame, lol. Gonna pretend that was intentional. Gotta keep some of the mystery alive, amiright? ;)

(+1)

Oops. Well, better late than never. 

I guess I'd forgotten how long it had been since I'd tried my hand at Ren'py before, so I definitely had/have things to re-learn (and just more to learn in general), but at the very least I have the first little sequence written and coded! [Insert the screenshot of said code here, I ran out of picture space for this post so I can't actually put it in. It's only 140 lines though, so it's really not that impressive yet.] It's not very long yet, but it's a start!! Unfortunately even with my day off the other day I ended up having some other things (boo, real life) that needed to be taken care of, so I wasn't able to sit down and get as much as I'd been hoping done, but I should have a good bit of free time tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Also, I come bearing some beta designs for the girls!! Most of my character design experience comes from drawing me and my friends' D&D characters, so the prospect of getting to draw regular, modern clothes is very nice, lol.  I think I've finally decided on the hairstyles I'm going to stick with, but we'll see. One or both of them might also end up wearing a beanie or other snow-appropriate type of hat.

Ah... as I'm uploading this I realize I forgot to color the truly absurd amount of useless clips I put in young!Vivian's hair, but I was mostly trying to decide on skin / hair tones anyway. Shoot, actually, on that note, older Teri should be growing out colored hair as well, assuming I can get it to look how I want. Oh well, I definitely have time to get back to that. 

As a note on the colors of the sketches - I haven't fully decided on this yet, but I was leaning towards giving Teri a "colder" color scheme, and Viv would get a "warmer" one. I originally thought I'd just stick with a cool color scheme in general, because of the theme, but I think maybe if the main character is the only thing leaning towards warm colors it would make her stick out more? I'm not sure. I'm a completely self-taught artist, and I'll be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about color theory, so if I have extra time I might try to mess around with giving everything those cool stylistic touches, but most likely it'll end up being a little vanilla. Enough to get the story across. Clothes style-wise, Vivian will be more urban, and Teri will be more outdoors-y. (Although, they'll both be dressed for the cold weather.)

If I can make a bit of a personal aside about the designs for a moment, Vivian is Japanese-American, and Teri is Mexican-American. (Can you tell I'm from Southern California?) Somewhere along the way growing up, I got it in my head that I should try to create characters outside my own experience, as a way both to try to empathize with different types of people as well as to be more interesting to myself, trying to imagine something different from my own life. While I do think there's a place for that, I've also realized that, in a lot of ways, writing is a lot of sharing little pieces of yourself and the way you think. Also, hopefully without sounding too soap-box-y, I don't get to see enough people who look like me and the people I know in mainstream media, so I definitely have a vested interest in creating my own representation. In that way, if Vivian has ended up looking a little too much like a self-insert, ah, well. Her personality is very much different to mine. I will say I had a bit of fun naming her, though. Both my mother's maiden name and her mother's maiden name start with "Yama", which means "mountain", and considering that this story is meant to take place in the snow, I figured, yes they are in the mountains. Hence, "Yamauchi" (literally, "inside mountains"). Unfortunately for Teresa, her surname doesn't quite have as much meaning, haha. I picked Vivian's name first, and then remembering my mom's stories about always being stuck at the end of lists in school because her last name started with "Y", I thought it could be fun backstory for Teri's name to similarly start with an alphabet-backend letter, and that they bonded in seating assignments and such in school based on the proximity and shared waiting around, and that it was how they originally became close. In service of that, I pulled up a list of common Mexican surnames and desperately searched for one that worked but didn't belong to someone I know personally, lol. Not that I think this game will probably ever get back to them, but I feel kind of weird straight-up naming a character after someone I know without asking permission, and I don't really want to bring it up to ask permission. Also, I know that Spanish-speaking cultures use the naming convention of taking both your paternal and maternal last name, with no middle name. I'll admit, to avoid having to decide what generation American Teri is and whether or not she uses said convention, all you're gonna get for now is the one surname. It's not really going to come up during the story, but it is still something I've thought about, even if I've decided to ignore it at the moment.

Hoo boy. That was a lot of mostly superfluous backstory, but it is something I definitely wanted to put down in words, somewhere. I initially just made up a whatever story in a couple days so I'd have something to make for this jam, but I've definitely become personally invested in the characters and everything, which is certainly good for my desire to work on it / finish it ;) 

Finally, gonna stick up a pic of some of the alternate hairstyles I was also considering, and my very first sketch of the characters! Can you believe it's only been a week since I made them up? Whoops. I love them now.

(+1)

Hm. I'm re-looking at this post on my phone at a different brightness than it'd been on my computer now and I can already see some changes I'm gonna need to make, esp with Teri's skin tone, it's a little bit darker than I intended. I definitely, definitely don't want to wash her out or anything, but it's not quite where I want it yet. It's a work in progress! I'll see if I can meddle with it as well as the smaller details I mentioned before after work tonight.

Host

ah i really liked your discussion about writing from your own experiences as well as trying to put yourself in someone else's shoes and come to understand experiences that may be different than yours. i think that's pretty important for growing as a writer and developing more diverse casts of characters. cool stuff! keep it up!