Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Unnamed game on libGDX

A topic by Gordon-from-Blumberg created Jan 26, 2020 Views: 261 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 7
(+1)

This is my first Game Jam. I hope this game will be my first finished game. I'm going to use libGDX because I have more than 3 years of experience with Java and like this language.

My goal.

After the Game Jam is finished I have at least a playable prototype of game.

Day 1

I was about a computer a very little time. I've created a repository on GitHub using my own small library above libGDX. As I've not yet decided what game I want to develop I've named the repo just 'cold_game' :-) Then I've browsed some resources with free assets and downloaded some snow and winter related tilesets.

(+1)

Day 2

I still have not decided neither what game to develop nor even its genre. I have some ideas but each of them seems too difficult for implementing in two weeks on my own. While most jammers are making games I keep brainstorming...

Host

it can be difficult to settle on an idea! honestly i would say figure out which idea you like most so far--anything that you just feel like you're really latching onto whether it's a narrative element or some kind of mechanic that you think is really interesting. from there, i would write down all the mechanics or assets you think the idea would need--pretty much anything you can think of! then circle the absolute bare bones of what you would need to make the most basic game--while still including that one thing you really like. even if this approach doesn't work for you i think just making decisions and being okay with making a game that isn't perfect is how you can start to conquer decision paralysis and learning things so you can be more confident in your decisions! i'm wishing you the best of luck!

(1 edit) (+1)

Thank you very much! I did how you adviced and figured out that a strategy is very very difficult. Just its playable prototype requires a lot of work. So I've chosen more simple game: a hero must find a way out of the ice cave, that called Iciendy :-) As the game itslef.

Host

awesome! that sounds like a great small scope game to start with!

(1 edit) (+1)

Days 3 and 4.

Unfortunately, I had a little time for making game in these days. I've chosen idea and name for my game. Welcome to Iciendy! It's an ice and very very cold cave with some traps and other unpleasant surprises. It doesn't matter how the character got here. But it's very important to find a way out as soon as possible otherwise the character will freeze to death! Time is not your friend here.

(+2)

I was "attacked" by different problems. Unfortunately, such "fights" did not leave me a time to make the game. Due to the finish is close and I have nothing done I leave this Jam. But I'm going to join another one later ;-) Good luck, jammers! May your games be cool and fun!

Host

it happens! thanks for joining us even for a little bit. i'm wishing you the best of luck with wherever your jam adventures take you next!