Jobs
Tags

X-18: Upgrades

A topic by eelwaffles created Feb 06, 2019 Views: 388 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 7
Submitted (1 edit) (-100)

(old demo removed)

date: 2/5/19

This is a fangame/interactive choose your option fanfic  loosely based off the x-men mythos both comics and movies.   It deals with a lab-born survivor of Transigen  getting used to living in Genosha and coping with their trauma via body modification. Some transhumanist/cyberpunk themes. Various references to the x-men canons.

I have a very unfinished version listed above.  My main goal for this jam is to get more of this story finished and learn how to program in twine.  I'm recovering from surgery so work on this project has been slow.

So far, none of the body modification options are working and only the hair dyeing option has anything written in it. "Boat" has some words in it.  And the cellphone options for who to call is only partially done as well.  

My current goal is to get the "boat" thread done and finish up the "elijah" thread.

Content Warnings

Mentioned: holocaust, non-consensual human experimentation, child abuse, suicidal ideation, self-harm. Mentally unstable character. Needles, tattooing, scarification, etc. Rating is a rough PG-13

Submitted

Here's the complex twine map, I'm hoping to fill out and add to, over the next week and a half.

Submitted

:0 Your map is looking cool! And I can't wait to see what you do with it,  the cyberpunk/transhumanist theme in an xmen setting is sounding interesting!

Submitted

Thank you so much! The version listed above is playable but its a mess right now. I was really nervous posting this project here.

Submitted (1 edit)

This game is not going to be done in time by the end of the jam, I can already tell LOL. It has multiple endings. Most of the storylines are just rough concept right now, but I have concrete work now on the "Ocean" storyline/thread! I pared down a lot of the body modification options and I'm going to interweave those with the "Family" storylines, where you interact with your various half-siblings and parental figures. 

Some of those will have them helping you with body modding options while others will disapprove and try to put a stop to it. There's also what I call the "Ouch this hurts" body mod options via the diy tattooing and scarification but I'm not sure if those will be interwoven with the Family storylines or left as its own branch.

The world's half constructed so I had to patch out a backstory for Elijah whose a reference to the Onslaught character in X-men.

Right now my main goal is have the Ocean storyline done by end of this week, I still have to figure out the variables in programming and finish writing out the tailskin options before moving on to the character's hair pieces before the end. I also want to attach pictures of the various animals that your tailskin is based off. (The character has a cybernetic hovering fishtail that replaced their legs) If I have time, I also want to draw out the inside of the character's fishing boat.

I also need to add "intro page" explaining who you are, and all that jazz

Submitted (1 edit)

A map of the storyline I'm working on right now. I finally figured out the programming that I needed, aka the body mod choices you make sticking into the next passages.

I still need to finish the "neoprene" top passage and the hair options that spawn from that.  Plus the ending.  Along with the "body painting" page and the ending that comes with that.

For this storyline, I have at least four more pages to write and code.

Not counting the other storylines, yikes.

I'm having a friend work on  game art, (i.e boat interior but I have no idea when she'll be done with that)

Submitted

It's coming along though! Look at that! It's always so satisfying to have them all ordered nicely tbh

Submitted

I can truly learn something from such neatly organised graphs honestly haha but seriously nice job !

Submitted (1 edit)

I mostly finished the neoprene top page today. Just have one little bit to finish. I ended up cutting out the hair accessory options I wanted to work on. But I'm started to feel burnt out so -snip.- It was a bit stressful trying to figure out what I wanted to type, psychologically overwhelming. Just gotta finish the two endings then. Guh. The body painting page is defintely gonna need to have its ending merged with it. Two pages is better then four to write for.

Here's a peek of the coding that went into that page. Certain paragraphs will only show depending on what tailskin you choose earlier in the story.

Since this jam ends on the 16th, I think having this storyline ready to play in a rough draft/cleaning up the other pages is my end goal. 

THEN I AM TAKING A BREAK AND WORKING ON OTHER PROJECTS! (like the prequel to this game)

-flops-

Submitted

This is the map for the demo. I snipped dead ends, put all the empty pages away from this map, added some programming to the cell phone options, did some editing, etc. I also did some planning for stuff I want to do once this demo is done. Basically, I did clean up work to take a break from the "ocean storyline." Now I just have to finish the swim and body painting endings, and then style it.