Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Tumultuous Temporal Trading [Post-mortem]

A topic by bradellison created Aug 04, 2023 Views: 62 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted

Like many, this is my first ever game jam, and really I just needed something to force me to actually complete a project and to try to keep scope creep at hand

With the theme "cycles" I thought about day trading and what if there was a true cycle that you could take advantage of. Further inspired by games like Outer Wilds and Witness - I love that those games are completable basically on your first go IF you already have the required knowledge. So in mine, you travel back in time to try to make as much money as possible once you know the outcome of the markets.

https://bradellison.itch.io/tumultuous-temporal-trading

This was built in Unity and overall I've been very happy with the outcome. I think that it could be more obvious what you need to do, but given that you just replay the same minute over and over I think that the player is able to figure it out over a couple of attempts without getting TOO annoyed (feedback on that is needed though haha)

This is my first time building a 3d environment in unity, usually I get tripped up by all the movement and quaternions etc, but as it's a static camera with relatively little movement (other than adding emotive actions for the robot companion) it worked very well.

I'm travelling at the moment, so this probably took around 4 days of ~4-6 hour, for a total of 20ish hours to complete. But yeah, very happy to finally participate in a jam and pleased with the result.

Finishing any game is a great achievement. Good job!!!