Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Dev Post for The First Step

A topic by Raseiwritting created Jul 02, 2021 Views: 121 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted(+1)

This is my first game jam and hopefully the first time I finish a game. It's going to be a short game made in RPGMaker VX Ace hopefully for 20 to 50 minutes of game time. The goal is to make a short game with 4 to 5 hand-created maps that I will create myself. I'm not planning on making music but instead using free music that is The final product will be free for everyone to play. The short summary for the game is:

- A young farm boy in a small hidden village sees an unfamiliar girl near the forbidden cave and goes in after her. They get trapped and have to find their way out. After running into a monster, the boy used magic for the first time. They find ruins in a cave and a magic book. The farm boy touches it and it gets bound to him. The girl's father catches up to them and leads them out. The farm boy finds out the father is a mage and asked to be trained by him. The story ends with the farm boy, the girl, and her father leaving the hidden village to find a magical tear to save the world.

There are two main characters:

• Andrew Holden, an intelligent boy who has never left his small hidden village. He knows how to use a bow for hunting and carries around a pitchfork. He is 13 years old.  In the game he uses a pitchfork to fight. After getting the book, he levels up to being able to use magic. He leaves home to learn how to control his magic and to save the world.
  • Eliza Bokken, she is the only child of the mage Tanner. She is 10 years old and is impulsive.  She is only good with fire magic, much to her father misery because she likes setting things on fire. She is also good with daggers. In the game, she can cast Fire and has two daggers.

Day One July 1st:
I set out a background for the world the game is set in. I have a 1000 word summary of the important events of this world and how this game will support what happened. I created two different ideas before settling on Andrew's and Eliza's stories. I wrote character summaries for my two main characters which I feature above. I created a game document about what events I want to happen and what I need to create. I also wrote half of the first draft of the script of the game, but that can/will change while I make the game. I made no headway on assets to use or what the characters look like. I did look around the RPGMaker for free of use music and found some tracks I like though I'm not committed to them yet.

Goals for Day Two:

• Finish the first draft of the game
  • Create at least the first map of the game.
  • Create character sprites for Andrew and Eliza. Also, make a sprite for Tanner. These will be made in Game Character Hub.
  • Go through assets that I own and got in bundles over the years that I never used. These must be checked for the Copywrite information and see if I can use it.
Submitted(+1)

Day Two:

Unfortunately, RL kicked in. I mostly finished the First Step script before RL set in. I also worked on the database inside RPGMaker. I also created a sprite for a miniboss.

Day Three:

Finished the first Draft. I created mockups of what I want the maps to look like. Here is Map 1 as an example:

I also worked on the database some more. I have most of the database regarding items, armor, weapons, and monsters organized and deleted any extra that is in the game database when making the battle.

I also finished going through my DLC and see what I needed to added.

Goals for Day Fourth:

• Create all maps of the game.
  • Create character sprites for Andrew and Eliza. Also, make a sprite for Tanner. These will be made in Game Character Hub.
  • Create the opening scene

Host

ohhhh i love your little mockup! it's nice to see your progress so far and i'm excited to see how your maps are coming along!