Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

GPU.Spectator - You watch AIs compete in VR

A topic by ozten created Jul 11, 2020 Views: 206 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 7
(+2)

Hi! My name is Austin (he/him). This is my first real game, although I've done a lot of weird little graphics / gamish things over the years. I'm a programmer with an art background.

I love VR and want to build a 3D game for the Oculus Quest.

What idea to pick?!! I've got a few:
* Smokey the Bear based game

* A game where the main mechanic is hanging audio records on trees and slowing down the tapes to talk to trees

* A game that either humans or AIs can play that is inspired by Tron

I don't know how to make #1 or #2 fun, so I'm starting with #3. I will try to keep the scope small and focused, so I can finish in 2 weeks. I will make a github repo with the vision for the game, but it GPU.Spectator will focus on letting human spectators watch AI competitors standing on two platforms try to throw a frisbee or other object at each other. It is a programming game, anyone can submit their code to power their character, like robocode or other programming games.

Tron - neon light themed, synthy music. GPU world. Spectators are human and in an audience and looking into the GPU world.

Open to collaborators! I especially need audio / music / character animation / graphics help.

Created the README and first issues to track TODOs

https://gitlab.com/ozten/gpu.arena/-/blob/master/README.md

(+1)

End of day one progress video.

I've got the game launching into my Oculus Quest headset. I made a disc to throw, but I haven't figured out how to pick it up :). You probably can't tell, but the crowd in the stadium isn't the final artwork.

Host(+1)

vr game inspired by tron???? yooooo this sounds sick and looks like a great start!! best of luck with the jam--i can't wait to see more!

(+1)

End of day 2 progress video. I got my project into a state where unreal engine editor crashed on opening the project. Oh no!!! After an hour or so I rebooted my computer and all was well. Spent time learning how to commit the Unreal part to git. Mainly figured out how to make an object throwable, respawn, and play a sound effect.

Also got motion sickness and had to end the day a bit early. I think that makes me a real VR game dev ;)

Host

haha my friends have complained for similar reasons. i'm curious to see more!

I thought today was the last day for submissions, so I missed the official submit. LOLz. Here is where the game is at.

Video of gameplay https://gfycat.com/annualserpentinearrowcrab