SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Float Defense [Post-mortem]

A topic by ChickenTown created Jul 22, 2019 Views: 166
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

So what worked?

I managed to get a working state-machine, and pretty quickly, 3 days in I had it working, the only issue was the occasional change that would mess up the signals for a state change.

My code is structured, shorter than i thought, with one hitbox related debug message that I can't wrap my head around but it doesn't affect the gameplay (I think it's trying to detect a body entered even when you miss, and failing to do so is what's sending me the debug message)

I learnt SOOOOOOOO much, from how to animate my own 2d character to how to use various pixel art software, implementing sound, tween use for music fade, how to use y-sort and one way collisions.

So what didn't work?

My limited capacity as an artist means it repeats it's self all the time in the assets used, but the main thing that i'm disapointed with is the combat is clunky my attack i slow, and doesn't vary, which can make it quite frustrating to play, if I had more time that's what I'd change, and item/health pick ups.

I couldn't get the float to work how i wanted, I wanted to be able to walk on it, but I couldn't get the velocity to transfer to the player or enemy, but not only that, it's a KinematicBody2D, so you can push it off it's intended path, but I couldn't get a RigidBody2D or a StaticBody2D to move towards the right as intended.

My scene also loads all at once, so I mistakenly thought it ran smoothly from the get go, due to it working on my good computer, I need to remember to test on my laptop in the future.

Overview:

Great fun, can't wait to work on my next project, I approached this game jam as a test for using state machines (though I wish I found the time to animate an attack from the enemies, so I could put an attack state on them and not go for the cliche boring zombie trope), and in that I was successful, with a bunch of bonus learning thrown on top.

I'm going to being playing all of your submissions spread over the next few days, I hope you've had as much fun as me, and thanks for reading this far :D