Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DevLog] Salvage

A topic by myserval created Jul 15, 2018 Views: 1,916 Replies: 18
Viewing posts 13 to 16 of 16 · Previous page · First page
Submitted

It's go time! It's almost the end, it's ... 

I'm really gunning for any sort of funny pun or nothin' but I cant think of anything so here goes!

ART

Lots got done! Well, lots seemingly got done haha - I made three gun sprites and a bullet sprite, for shootin' stuff. 

The classic: Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun. Who knows if they'll all be used in the final game, but really, who cares- its fun anyways. Cave tiles got done too, but for now they're pretty non-organic:

I'm gonna spend tomorrow fixing those up and making about 20 different maps for the game to select when you go diving. 

Speaking of which, I haven't talked about how the game is changing. We sorta realized that with the amount of work we're putting in, it's really unlikely that a lot of our planned features will make it into the jam version. We're scrapping the salvaging mechanic. Ironic choice of words, but it's accurate. We may include it in a later version of the game, but likely we're gonna be changing the title of the game to reflect how the game now runs. Well, how it will run at release. We're fleshing out and completing the diving part of the game tomorrow so that we can begin working on how diving fits into the rest of the game. The leading possible replay ability mechanics are: Quests, Rogue-like or port trading. One of those (or possibly some left-field idea) is gonna become the reason for diving. We'll see what that becomes in about two days. 

More art!!

This radio sits on your boat and plays music while you're not underwater. Now with pretty particle effects!

And in the background? Thats right. the sky, boys and girls. It's sorta temporary, but for the jam, "it'll do."

MUSIC

Made..........stole..? a song to be used as the radio music. It's gonna be great. It's also been looping in the background the entire time i've been writing this devlog and somehow hasn't become annoying.

GAME

Along with the sky came parallax, and with that, some odd adjustments were made to how water was rendered. It looks good now! Myserval added breath and health counters and variables for the player, and made it so they count down appropriately.

With that, he added enemy health, and a basic counter above to display health.

And then, he added the sea urchin from before. Variety is the spice of lifeeeeeee

And for today, that's all! Tomorrow, there should be a finalized diving scene, including combat and picking up items. There also very well might be a bunch of different levels, but we'll see what becomes most important.

Submitted

OH GOD THERE'S SO MUCH

That's the new boat sprite! and oh god there's a lot. 

• A random level is chosen and loaded each time the swimming scene is opened.
  • 5 new levels were added (more to come for sure)
  • walking up slopes is FINALLY fixed
  • The overworld boat is now also a motorboat, and there's cool particles to match
  • the player creates bubble particles in the water when they dive in.
  • the sounds were made MUCH quieter.
  • guns now do damage to enemies
  • added skeletons
  • Enemies release particles on death, and when they hit you, you have a certain number of I-frames
  • wasd control support
  • added a game over screen for when you die
  • added a sword weapon
  • Inventory now updates as you collect items, and the player node can sense when a new item is added, and give relevent effects to the player.  The delete button works as well.
  • You can open and close the inventory in the diving screen ..... it doesn't actually show up yet (it's behind a bunch of layers) but it's there!

And with that, all the basic functionality of the diving mechanic is done! Now to .... add every item and have them appear in chests. But it's all there. the combat, the items, the movement- its all finally together. With ....... 48 hours left. Now time to add some sort of connecting mechanic!

I'll talk tomorrow (or the day after) about what that means for what we add, but ideally, we're gonna give some amount of meaningful context to the progression of the diving. 

Okay! So what's left?

• More Maps! Variety is the spice of life (that's gotta be the 100th time ive said that)
  • Adding all of the items to the game. All of them. ALL OF THEM.
  • Making more item sprites for the items!
  • Cleaning up the folder structure. We don't need any of those dang kenney sprites anymore!
  • Making the UI pretty all over (and scale properly)! It's still the default Godot look, and updating those is gonna be a great step in the feel of the game!
  • Add a title theme
  • Make the inventory visually open in the diving screen

Now, in stretch goals, things look a little different:

• Map Decor. Variety is, after all, the spice of life!
  • New (better) cave tileset -  it looks very .... erm bad
  • better enemy AI (they'll wander and so on, making them feel more lively)
  • Making diving gear appear and disappear on the character sprite itself.
  • who knows honestly my dude 

Oh! How could I forget? Jimpy made a splash screen :)))))))

wellllllllllllllllll that's all folks! I'll see you again tomorrow, where we'll finally be doing dinosaur/house transmutation~! bye!

Submitted

Wow, alright. midnight already, huh?

It's the second to last day of the jam, right? So we're starting to get into polish mode.

First off, we got the inventory screen fully implemented in the diving part of the game. You press tab, and bam there it is. The game pauses and everything too!

All of the UI has been styled, and I added a basic main menu theme.

3 new items got added too!

Yeah yeah they're tiny yadda yadda you know the deal - it's too late to reupload them blah blah

All of the items now are in the item database, with flavortext to match.

tons of smaller bugs got fixed, like how the sword crashed the game if you were facing left.

we fixed this screen, as hard as it is to believe:

A couple new maps got added too- you'll see them when you play the game!

So goals for tomorrow, before the game goes live:

• Make the rest of the items affect the player.
  • Add UI for player health and breath and enemy health.
  • Add map decorations.
  • Pick and implement a mechanic to add replayability. (maybe? its sorta getting too close, isn't it?)
  • General polish: testing and making sure there's no edge cases.
  • Make the itch.io page, complete with logo and everything

Good luck to everyone else too! I know some of you guys have already submitted your games (oh jeez) so hopefully the testing and bugfixing stage goes well! I'm looking forward to playing them :)

Submitted

Day 14:

We Do It

Viewing posts 13 to 16 of 16 · Previous page · First page