Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DEVLOG] Melo: Stay Tuned

A topic by Lennico created Jul 14, 2018 Views: 222 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 5
(1 edit) (+2)

Hello everyone! My name is Lennico and I'm a student interested in game development. I am a noob on Unity, while on the other hand  I've been doing Photoshop since I was 16. This is my first attempt to finish a simple well-made game and the first time I join a game jam, so I'll try my best! As my code skills on C# are very basic, I hope to deal with problems using Youtube and Unity tutorials .

Between my favorite games are:  Life is strange, Night in the woods, Overwatch (so addictive)...

Well, this time I was inspired by Geometry Dash and other DS games. I feel like those games are very original but they relay too much pressure on the player (only one life). So I wanted to make Melo: a speed runner for Android in which the player must tap or swipe according to the rhythm of the theme playing, following indications. The plan for this game jam is to finish one level as I will need time to develop more. If the player does well enough (has to achieve a minimum number of points), he can continue onto the next one.

I want the player to enjoy the themes while synchronizing with it, so the player has to wear headphones. At the moment I don't know how much will levels last but no more than 3 minutes, as in that time there's already a lot of code.

For future plans:

• Automatically create levels using users own songs
  • I have thought to group levels into areas like Mario games, different instruments and esthetic for each one.
  • More professional animations.
  • Endless mode.
  • Implementing power-ups or boosters.

Goals:

• TO FINISH A LEVEL
  • Explore the world of audio and implementing it into a game: if anyone knows a program for mac to create music  (not garageband), please write down below its name! I will appreciate that!
  • Improve my C# skills.
  • Learn more about creating a game for Android.
  • Implementing basic animations successfully.

I won't be able to update daily as I've other things to do as well, but I'll do what I can! If there's any writing error, I'm Spaniard so... Thanks for reading and see you soon!

Submitted

heyia!

You can check for ableton, or fruity loops for sound software. I think logic is better for mac but I can be wrong

Host (1 edit)

hey lennico! finishing one level is a great goal for a two week jam. i don't think i've seen a lot of rhythm games done for this jam (ok wait i lied we did have one and it was cooking related) so i'm excited to see what you make! i think they're really fun and hypnotic to watch. i think one of my favorites recently was that VR game beat saber haha.

(+1)

So these days I've been creating basic graphics to start writing code:

First of all I want the player to move between the lines using simple swipes in the direction wanted. I have tried, looked on unity forums and I don't reach the solution I wanted. So I will have to move the player with touches instead of swipes if I continue like this.

PD: Thanks to @Jatsu! I have downloaded Fruity Loops for the audio part and I will look for how using it.

Submitted

Hey there! I absolutely love Firewatch, Life is Strange was a great experience and I'm about to play Night In The Woods so I commend you for your video game preferences :)

When it comes to the music creation software, I think Reaper might be your best bet seeing as it's very cheap for personal use (60$) and its trial version has full functionality, which is something very rare for DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software.  FL Studio is also great if you want to create music using virtual instruments and samples but the demo version is somewhat limited. Also, while Garage Band isn't commonly considered a professional grade DAW it's actually really capable piece of software, that should be enough for you basic game dev needs and it's probably the most user friendly option available (opening something like Reaper or even FL Studio for the first time might be really overwhelming). Oh and there's of course Logic Pro which is pretty much the industry standard option for mac users. If you're just starting out, there's no need to go for anything other than Garage Band and the basic skills you'll learn using it (working with virtual instruments, recording, working with tracks, basic song arrangement and mixing) will transfer to the next, more 'professional' DAW you decide to use. Garage Band might not be a powerhouse workstation but it's not a toy either, it's a capable piece of software and a great place to start your music journey (perhaps even the best one seeing how user friendly it is). Plus, Garage Band is a bit similar to Logic Pro so it sets you up on a natural upgrade path to the professional quality software. 

I have no idea why I'm pimping Garage Band so hard btw, I don't even like Apple...

Going back to the game dev aspect of things, I'm not experienced enough to know this for sure but rhythm game sounds a bit ambitious for your first project. Marrying the bpm of the song with frames displayed on screen might prove... tricky. In any case, I'm excited to see what you'll manage to create and I wish you good luck :)