Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Wannabe Hero: The Game

A topic by voltlotus created Jul 14, 2018 Views: 218 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 5
(+2)

Hello, my name is Lauren, and this is my first time participating in My First Game Jam. I'm planning on making a Point-and-Click Adventure game using Adventure Game Studio.

The game will be about my characters from my web-comic "Wannabe Hero" trying to start their actual adventure, but hi-jinks get in the way.

Main Goals

• Create basic assets for the game
  • Learn how to use Adventure Game Studio
Host(-1)

hey lauren! ahh your characters and comic look really cute and i'd love to see how they translate into a game!

i do want to pass on a quick thought from some previous jammers: while AGS has been the free engine to go to for quick point and click games quite a few jammers had a lot of trouble with it and mentioned that they wouldn't highly recommend the engine for others in the future (which is why i've pulled it + its resources from our engine list). if you're really set on a point and click in particular and don't want to spend time coding mechanics (that's completely understandable!) this is probably the best engine for you, but if you're ok diving into something a little deeper for the jam or in the future i may recommend rpgmaker mv (not free but occasionally goes on sale to around $20 + while not strictly "point and click" as an engine you can get really close!) or ren'py. making a point and click game in ren'py is a little bit of work and kind of custom but even if you don't do the fancy point and click coding i do think a visual novel would actually fit your style very well (and you can make a visual novel kind of adventure-like in design).

whew this got long but ofc take with a grain of salt and feel free to ignore! i don't have a ton of experience with AGS but just wanted to pass on since jammers did mention it to me. if you have questions abt any of these other engines just let me know.

(+1)

Hello J, 

First off, I'm glad you like my characters!

I was wondering why I couldn't find much on AGS in the game jame resources, lol. A point and click is something I'm looking forward to making in the future, so I'm open to using the other engines you mentioned (Luckily I already have rgmaker mv, I just need to dust it off :P)!

Either way, I appreciate the heads up about AGS and I'll look in to the other engines too! Have a nice day!

Host

from what i've seen AGS seems a bit dated (despite being updated this year). also sweet! there was an adventure game last jam that to me felt kind of "point and click" in design (even though it still had rpgmaker controls, you can still click around) called kuiper belt plaza. it's a solid game all around but i just wanted to pass along to give you an idea of what that might look like. i think godzilla's post below about the fungus plugin is also a great resource if you're ok with using unity! making a point and click in unity may be a little more custom than rpgmaker, but it's another good option and i would recommend it if you aren't afraid to do a bit of coding.

(+1)

Update 1:

I made these basic sketches that may/may not be used as sprites for the game! I'm debating if I want to quickly switch gears and work with Ren'py or RPGmaker to make a product. 

Submitted(+1)

In case it helps, I've heard really good things about Fungus, which is a free asset for Unity for making similar games.

Host

aaa nice sprites! honestly i do think these would fit pretty well with a visual novel, but i'm excited either way to see where you go with your game. best of luck with figuring out your direction!