Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

> game [Post-mortem]

A topic by arapawa created Aug 05, 2017 Views: 193
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Submitted

I finished my game, > (right_caret). Well, kind of. It's definitely just a prototype, and is missing lots of elements I planned out. The core game I have released is missing some key gameplay mechanics. Oh yeah, and sound would have been nice.

But, I'm excited that now I have a game project I can keep iterating on.

What worked:
I changed my task-planning method based on Tom Francis' method for Gunpoint. He talked about how he would have a list of tasks to work on that day, and as long as he worked on the game that day, he considered it a success.
In the past I've tried to be really granular about planning tasks. I'd use Asana or something like that and plan out every single task and subtask. This took a lot of time, and once I was done and looked at the list, I would get overwhelmed.

So, this time I wrote up my game design document (really just some sketches and notes in my sketchbook), and then each day when I went to work on the game I would write a list of a few tasks to complete that day.

It really helped me stay disciplined and avoid getting stressed.

What didn't work:
Having a due date two-weeks out led me to sink into bad habits and procrastinate. I didn't work on the game for a week straight. I totally could have built something closer to what I planned if I had been more consistent in working.