SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DevLog] Haunted Cafe

A topic by Hsaad created Jul 10, 2016 Views: 416 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 8
(+1)

DevLog- Day 1

Before the jam, I did some brainstorming and decided I wanted to create some sort of restaurant-type game, think Sushi Go Round or Hot Dog Bush. So the original idea for the game was that you are the chef at some monster restaurant. You need to serve your customers' (vampires, ghosts, mummies, etc) their orders and make a certain amount of money by the end of the day so that you can move on to the next level/day.

With that idea, I figured I needed reduce my scope, since I only have 2 weeks to complete the game. So instead different types of monster customers, I'm picking one (ghosts), and instead of a lot of different recipes, I'm starting with two and if time allows I'll add more. I plan on working on graphics for the first 1-2 days, and then moving on to code the game using Unity for the remaining time.

What I did today:

• Finished ghost design (they are going to be the customers)
  • Created the main menu screen
  • Started the background for the game

What I plan to do tomorrow:

• Finish the game background
  • Finish the food/miscellaneous graphics
  • Eating sprites

Also might start coding tomorrow, depending on time and progress.

Font used: http://www.fontspace.com/m%C3%A5ns-greb%C3%A4ck/sultan-cafe-personal-use

Host(+1)

OHHHH MAN THESE DESIGNS ARE SO GOOD this is a lot of solid progress already, i can't wait to see this animated and ingame!

THANKS!

(+1)

DevLog- Day 2

Day 2 of the My First Game Jam. I didn't do as much work as I did yesterday. Also didn't finish all the tasks I wanted to. I decided to not create sprites until later on in the jam, since its more important to have the code and the game running properly. So instead I worked on the game play screen and did some coding. Had to re-download Unity, since the version I had didn't contain some features (UI, canvas, etc). So it took some time to get started.

What I did today:

• Worked on the game play screen
  • Set up the project in Unity
  • Coded the play button, so that it takes you to the game
  • Set up parts of the game

• Continue setting up the images/buttons for the game in Unity
  • Code the Recipe button
  • Code customer actions

Tomorrow, I'll probably spend most of my time in Unity, but there are still some graphics I need to finish, so I might do those tomorrow or the day after.

(+1)

I'm excited to see what comes out of this, I like the designs & concept !! Best of luck !

(+1)

Thank you!

(+1)

DevLog- Day 3

Day 3 of the My First Game Jam. I spent today in Unity, working on the code. So there was a lot of hair-pulling, especially when I had to download Unity(again!). Seems that the file yesterday was corrupted, since I couldn't use Text and other UI functions. It works perfectly fine now.There's still some graphics I need to complete, so I'll probably take a break from Unity and do that tomorrow.

What I did today:

• Spawn customers (ghosts)
    • Still need to specify when the ghosts should come and leave
  • Timed levels so that after 2 mins, the level ends and depending on the money earned, you either continue on to the next level, or lose.
    • Still need to create the Game Over Scene and the Continue Scene
  • Spawn money and money behavior (when you click on the money, it disappears and adds $12 to the total)
    • Still need to specify when the money should spawn
  • Changed the Recipe button to display a popup window, instead of a new scene.

• Finish Food graphics
  • Finish Game Over scene graphics
  • Finish Continue scene graphics
  • Work on Recipe scene graphics
(+1)

DevLog- Day 5

Day 5 of the My First Game Jam. Didn't do any work yesterday and didn't do much today as well. I didn't do any coding or work in Unity. Game graphics are almost done, just need to finish the food items.

What I did today:

• Finished the Game Over scene graphics
  • Finished the Continue (onto next level) scene graphics

Don't have anything planned to complete tomorrow, since I have class. If I can find time, I'll probably work in Unity and add the Game Over and Continue scenes.

Host(+1)

awww man sorry to hear about that frustration w/ unity + file corruption. this is looking like a solid game so far!! your ui is looking very polished already!

Thanks. Its working properly now.

(+1)

DevLog- Day 8

Day 8 of the My First Game Jam. I spent most of today in Unity, working on the code. Also did some work in Illustrator, finishing up the graphics.

What I did today:

• Finished the graphics for the money
  • Started on the graphics for the food
  • Completely finished the Game Over scene in Unity
  • Completely finished the Continue scene in Unity

• Finish Food graphics
  • Code for the food in Unity
  • Code for generating order
  • Code for ghost behavior