Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

​[devlog] Unnamed firebird platformer

A topic by UnicornTracks created Jul 09, 2016 Views: 310 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 5

HELLO I am UnicornTracks (you can also call me Noel) and I know nothing about making games. Nothing. Actually, absolutely, 100% nothing. Whats an event? I dont know. Whats a script? Unless you're talking theatre, I don't know! What's an object? I ... might know that one. Maybe. I'm hoping that I do. If I don't, then I'm sure I'll figure it out along with the rest of this.

I've thought that making games could be an awfully fun adventure for a while, but didn't resolve to do it until I saw a post for this Game Jam on Tumblr ... yesterday. Gotta jump in with both feet, right?

Program:

I'll be using Construct 2 to make a simple platformer.

Why construct 2? Because the internet gave me a list of beginner programs with a free version option. I basically said eenie meenie miney moe and landed on this one, because - you guessed it, I don't know how to use any of the programs, either.

I DO know that I'm gonna MAKE A GAME! Of some level of quality.

The Game (plan):

The game I intend to make is one where you are a newly hatched phoenix. You fell from the nest as an egg, and now if you want to grow your fiery wings and tail and take flight, you'll have to find your way off of the cold, wet ground and head towards the sun and sky.

I don't have any grand plans here as far as mechanics or levels, yet. I'm more concerned with the idea of learning how to make a foundation before I think about anything fancy.

Goal #1: Go through the two basic tutorials for Construct 2 so that I can get at least a little familiar with the program, and start muddling my way through. Doesn't get any more basic than this.

Construct is a good starting point, good luck with the jam!

Host

my first game was a platformer in construct--it's a really fun engine to learn on! html5 games are very accessible and becoming more stable across different browsers. it has a lot of built-ins specifically for platformers as well!

(3 edits)

I know I'm not actually DOING much, just putting together puzzle pieces that other people have already made, but by golly playing around in Construct is a Lot of Fun.

Im just using rough sketches that may not even remotely look like the final project and coloured blocks while I am learning, but I AM learning! Figuring out controlling the different animations, etc. I'm not super happy that the hit box is so wide - lil bird can stand off of a platform without falling, so I'll have to figure out if i want to make the hitbox not include the head and tail later on, maybe.

Submitted

Platformers are a lot harder than text games so you're going to be learning a lot. Good luck!