Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

HOW are you learning a new engine?

A topic by wobblewares created Sep 18, 2023 Views: 243 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 7

Most of us are learning a new engine this month so I thought it would be good to collate some info on exactly how we're learning and which tutorials/documentation we're using to get up and running.

Been using Unity for 10 years, but I've never used UE5 before, so I have started with the "Your first hour in Unreal Engine 5" video (it introduces the editor, importing assets and setting up lighting, but pretty much no blueprints or interactivity) ...and now I have just started "Let's make a game - Brick Breakers" as I'm planning to make a 2D or low-poly game and this course seems to be a promising way to work out how interactivity, particles, audio and game loops work in UE5 compared to Unity.

What resources are you all using to learn your new engine?

I'm learning godot engine and this playlist helping me a lot Introduction to the GDScript Fundamental Tutorial Series .
I'm  an artist with little to no programming knowledge, this playlist contains lecture of core computer science fundamentals with gdscript. For anyone trying out godot engine in this jam and  who's not really familiar with programming world but willing to learn someday, to be able to create games on their own, this might be your good start.

My background is in computational physics, rather than game design, I'd only really made mods before but I'd been learning Unity for the past few months with two friends because we wanted to build a game together.  So I'm switching to Godot, and I started out with their Your first 2D game tutorial which was really helpful.  I've spent a lot of time in the manual too, which has been really great, and I actually started the main project for this jam by using the 2D movement overview section.   I found this video (Maximize Your Game Development Potential with Classes in Godot - by Bitlytic) was really awesome for just explaining classes clearly and concisely so that was awesome too.  I basically try to make Godot do a thing, then try to find out what words I need  to search to troubleshoot that, then try again.

I picked up the Godot gamedev.tv course for around £15, it’s got 3 projects to complete and the assets needed to follow along with the presenter .

I don’t plan on uploading a clone of one of the projects, I followed the first few lessons for the platform game, I got a basic platform character controller working, added my own implementation of a jump buffer and coyote time. I’ve been playing around with the tile map editor.

I don’t really know where I’m going with my project yet but it’s fun learning the new engine!

I’ve been learning an engine called Stride. It reminds me of if Unity & Visual Studio were mixed together. I haven’t done much with it, but so far I like it. I’m probably just going to use the documentation on their website to learn it though. If anyone wants a link, I’ll send it, but not unless someone’s interested.

I AM USING UNITY BECAUSE IT IS THE BEST GAME ENGINE IN MY OPINION AND I DON`T KNOW WHY ANYONE IS LEAVING UNITY AFTER THE RUNTIME FEE. 

Submitted

Personally, I can't trust a company that makes those crazy statements like Unity did. What if they just shut down the servers? You won't be able to update your already created games anymore. That would never happen in an open-source engine like Godot.

Submitted

For Godot, YouTube tutorials for learning the basics of the interface and GDScript language, and official docs and forums for everything else. I've also watched a couple of YouTube tutorials for complex topics like pathfinding, but never underestimate the official docs! :)