Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Seriously what is the definition of "beginner" in the context of this jam?

A topic by Ran d'Reille created Dec 25, 2022 Views: 211 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 3
(+3)

I have seen two posts regarding it because of course despite it being a requirement I do not find any single definition for it in the jam page, but unfortunately I don't think I have understood it well enough as the answers provided are unfortunately very case specific to the asker.

By some sense of the word I do not qualify as I have made a few games and participated in some game jams one week length like this one.

By other sense of the word, I can also be seen as a beginner as the quality of the games I made are not exactly great... and add to that the fact that I have not been making games for a while due to uni stuffs.

This jam's timing is perfect as it falls right as Christmas begins and my uni stuffs finally take a break; but of course I have to confirm first if I qualify.

A concise, concrete answer (e.g. have not participated in X jams with more than Y participants in the last Z months) that can be applied to most people wondering about the same thing would be appreciated.

Host(+1)(-1)

Hi,
this is indeed an interesting question, since it may vary from case to case.

I would not judge by the number of games one has made, because if they are just learning projects then you might still qualify as a beginner.

Of course "not exaclty great" is also subjective.

If you see the gamejam theme and you can create a game without any struggles that also looks great and is well engineered than I would not say you are a beginner. This would however not apply if you switch technology. For example I can create 2D games in pure C++ very fast, I have also created my own C++ custom game engines and published a few games. But if I would now switch to UE or Unity I would need to learn new and different stuff, so in that situation I would qualify as a "beginner".

It is only natural that we have people here with very different level of progress. 

But from what I can see from your profile (some small games), I would say feel free to join the gamejam and have fun and make new friends. :)

Hope this helps

Kind regards

(1 edit)

Thank you for the response. I will check the theme and see if it is hard enough then haha :D

Okay LOL I saw the theme and ngl Idk what I'm going to do with it. I think I can participate :3

Host

Glad I could help. Have fun and good luck!