Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Progress on my Surreal Memes inspired game

A topic by sosasees created May 30, 2022 Views: 244 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 5
(4 edits)

Despite schoolwork, i managed to make progress for my jam game.

• Days 1 & 2: watched a lot of Surreal Memes videos as inspiration (because when i heard the GoGodotJam3 themes i remembered that Surreal Meme videos used both themes alot)
  • Days 2 & 3: i wrote the Game Design Document (thanks to Jade the Kobold for this speech) in Notes App (it also has doodles so i can imagine how the game is going to look like). my goal was to write a simple game that uses the themes of both GoGodotJams (but is biased to show off Evolution rather than Too Much Power), which i did. i will not show this game design document since uploading it is too complex for the limited time of this Jam.
  • Day 4: i made the initial greyscale versions of the character sprites (photo):

as you can see, this game is inspired from Surreal Memes. even if i don’t finish this game before the jam ends, i might still want to finish it since (the design document proves that) it seems very cool (even without the Surreal Memes theme because the gameplay concept is solid). this is something that didn’t happen in any previous game jam i joined (which is both GoGodotJams).

(3 edits)

I made the rest of the sprites, and i colored them:

i realized that Pixel Art is deceptive in its simplicity: since it’s a simpler medium, i expected the images to be simpler to design. yes, it’s easy to get started making a pixel art; but it is much harder to adjust the pixel ort, and to make new sprites based on the visual requirements that are set by the first few sprites.

i immediately thought back to the last time i worked on the visuals for my current non-jam game: that game is supposed to be stylised like a 2D cartoon, so of course i started by making 2D vector art. but i found it too hard to keep everything from looking Too flat, so i switched to 3D modelling and since then my time was much easier. that game is still stylized like a 2D cartoon thanks to using unshaded materials and an outline effect, but now it’s much easier to make these stylized visuals.

so i realized that i need to use another medium — an easy-to-edit medium — for my jam game. after a break, i will choose between Clip Art (the way that actual Surreal Memes are made) or 3D modeling.

(2 edits)

i now made some 3D models for the Jam game (photo):

i realized that i have only 1 tomorrow left to make the game if i want to submit it to the jam, because schoolwork — and the breaks that i needed because of the exhaustion that it caused — took so much time from developing the game that, no matter how much progress i make now, it will never be enough to make a good game before the jam ends.

i feel that i made the right decision by placing my health and my school grades as more important than making a game for this jam.

the game design document that i have written because i learned it from Jade the Kobold’s event seems so cool that i definitely want to make this game, even if i can finish it only finished after the jam ended. also, the other events will be helpful too.

i didn’t get to make a game, but i came mainly for the events, and i definitely felt like i have learned more about how to make a game in Godot, and that we have celebrated Godot’s community because i watched some of the events with the livechat still being live. Thank you very much.

Any Devlogs of Progress that i make after the jam ends will be on the game’s own Itch page instead of continuing this thread, so follow me if you want to see my Surreal Memes inspired arcade game unfold.

(2 edits)

I made the player movement in 3D, and the behaviour of the obstacles in the game (i’m being vague so that i won’t spoil the game before it’s made).

I originally wanted to use 3D models since i couldn’t come up with a way to make custom visuals that blend in with the Surreal Memes Clip Art, but then i came up with a way to make my custom visuals blend in with the Surreal Memes Clip Art, so i will make the game a 2D game as originally planned. Hooray!

(2 edits)

this is the projects first status update after the jam ended (and probably the last one ever), and as you see it’s not on the games own itch page because the game didn’t get its own itch page.

that’s because i made a few prototypes of the basic gameplay, and testing all of them proved that the finished game would be boring.

if you followed me for the Surreal Memes arcade game, please unfollow me because i cannot finish that game because i found out that it’s boring. the games that i will make in the future will not be themed after Surreal Memes.