Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Newbie jumping into the fire

A topic by paultheawesome created Jun 24, 2018 Views: 322 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 5

I'm new to this. Never done a jam before. I don't have a degree. I'm not a world class coder. I'm a scripter, a code copier. I'm going to attempt making an actual rom. I'm not sure how much more difficult the route. But I'm determined to go full retro on this.

Problem is I'm not sure how I would create a game this quickly.

Anyone want to spout helpful (read as constructive) info to the newbie?

Host(+1)

So Making an actual Gameboy game if you dont already know is going to way more difficult then just using something like Unity or game maker. There are less resources in terms of documentation and help and it is much more complicated then modern engines.

Ask yourself what it is you want to achieve in the jam - is it to make a cool game? if so, then do that in the easiest, most empowering way and make something really unique

If it is to learn how to make an actual game boy game then great! But you probably wont be able to do that AND make a good game in all likely hood and you would probably do better taking longer then a jam to learn actual hardware.

I hope this helps!

I appreciate the input. I'll be honest I'm going to be using a lot of tools that I am getting familiar with right now. I understand that my game may not be as easy to create, I agree entirely. I may not be able to finish this one. But I'm going to try it out.

(+1)

Going "full retro" is very nice. Seeing your game played on an actual Game Boy is awesome. It's not a walk in the park, but it's not super hard either, depending on your experience. There are lots of resources here: http://avivace.github.io/awesome-gbdev

I make Game Boy games in assembly myself (although I haven't finished any yet... will try to do this jam though), but if you want to do it quickly (and not spend the entire month of August learning stuff) I'm going to go ahead and suggest checking out the ZGB engine. You code in C, and it has stuff to help you. There was a ZGB jam recently too.

It does use GBDK (Game Boy Development Kit) as a framework, which is not super great, but it helps you a lot along the way.

I found a lot of this info. Because of time constraints I was thinking of using GBDK, etc. As sad as using these is... I try to use the right tool for the job. I didn't find ZGB before. I appreciate that. I think that might be the way to go about it.

Host

Important Jam update here:
https://itch.io/jam/gbjam2018/topic/272198/this-gameboy-jam-is-cancelled

Already on it like a hawk. Thanks for the unofficial for the time being.