Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Variety of retro shaders for Unity, get them while they're hot

A topic by oxysofts created Oct 01, 2016 Views: 5,343 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 5
(4 edits)

The only reason I'm actually interested to participate in this GBjam for once is that I wrote some retro shaders for Unity a couple months back, and one in particular lets me define a palette of colors and it will map the screen's colors to this palette. I figured this could be of interest to other participants as well so I decided to share them!

This repository has 3 image effects:

• Fixed palette
  • Graded palette (may not be ideal for this competition but it lets you define gradients)
  • Dithering (With any arbitrary dither pattern image)
  • Resolution downsampling (I made it default to the GB screen resolution, so you don't have to mess with the parameters once you add it to your camera!)
  • Color quantization (posterization, may not be too helpful for this jam)

Example you can obtain with this

You can open the prepackaged scene in unity to see how it was done. Also, I suggest creating an aspect ratio like this so that it always display the true downsampled resolution

(1 edit)

These are great! I'm really excited to dig in to how you wrote them (and I'll probably use them for the jam too). One thing that would make it even better is if you exported everything as an asset package so users only had to import the asset.

I've never released stuff for Unity before, I've only been using it for a 5-6 months, so this is kind of new to me still. I'll prob make it an asset package later

I just meant exporting it as a package within your repo (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/HOWTO-exportpackage.html). You right click > Export Package... and then select all the files for the package. Unity zips it up nicely into an asset that's easier to import.

Um... I'm getting a black screen. Running Unity 5.4.1

Ah, it appears to be the RetroPixelMax script.

Yeah the names are old and need to be updated, RetroPixelMax is the one that lets you define a fixed palette. Also make sure you put the effects in this order:

• Dither
  • RetroSize
  • RetroPixelMax
if you put dither after RetroSize, the dithering will not be downsampled and you'll break the resolution restriction of the jam

Awesome scripts but is there a way to apply this to the UI as well?