SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DEVLOG] Hellspawn

A topic by Anthony Sturdy created Oct 22, 2017 Views: 279
Viewing posts 1 to 1
(1 edit) (+2)

Hi everyone :)

I wanted to make a devlog to keep the progress of my game over the week and thought I'd do it here as others were doing it in this section last time.

I decided to go with the generic route for Summoning, so I'm making a game about Demons. It's going to be a wave based shooter which'll be fun because I've never tried a 3D third person game before :D (The name in the title isn't final I just thought of it on the spot)

Also I missed the first day and half because of being away but will have more-or-less the whole of the rest of the week for the game.

Day 1

So this is what I got in the first few hours. I have come to the conclusion that I completely hate animating and blending animations. So many little problems and there's still some small problems with it that bug me. Going to have another look tomorrow morning at them though. Also made the player model, and rigged it using Mixamo and also downloaded a few of their animations for locomotion.

Although it was a pain in the ass I'm quite happy with it overall though, for a first attempt at least.

Day 2

Made quite a lot of progress today. Not really much on functionality but tried to get a lot of the aesthetic out of the way. Firstly, I made the environment in 3DS max. As you can see it's very simple, but you won't be seeing much of it anyway so I wasn't really bothered about getting it pretty (and I'm quite bad at art). 

Environment

I also added quite a bit of post-processing to the camera, which makes the game look a lot different. I think it still needs a bit of tweaking here and there but in my opinion it helps give that dark/demon/hell feel to the game. Here is before and after.

Before

After

Lastly I started on a small intro for the game and added shooting & a dummy enemy to test on. I tried making a gif showing these but the grain effect caused the gif to be 100mb... so here's a video instead. (Quality is terrible because it was once a gif, then converted to mp4, it also cut off the shooting part but I'll include that in a better video tomorrow).

That's all for today :) Let me know if you have any ideas for improvements and I encourage others taking part in the jam to create a devlog too, would be interesting to follow what everyone's doing.