Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DEVLOG] Spacehogs

A topic by bombjackm created Sep 03, 2017 Views: 532 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted (3 edits)

Spacehogs is a turn based procedurally generated roguelike in space with fish people loving to eat.. well.. space hogs..

Day 1: The Warmup

I did some art and space and theorized the gameplay     

Day 2: The Busy Day

• developed the ship generation
  • added starfield
  • developed  a basic player movement
  • refining spaceship art

Day 3: The Sport Day

Started the day with 1H30 of sport because otherwise I would have fallen asleep.

Restructured the Player movement to make it more general and a added a rough AI movement.

Added character stats and took the rest of the day working on the wall generation. I have the external ones and started to work on the interior.

Here are 2 randomly generated  starship:

Submitted

Day 4: The Tired Day

I've not been able to find sleep last night so today has been less productive.

Worked on some art and placed the UI. It still need to be programmed.

Submitted

Day 5: The Bad Day

I first decided to call this day : "the coding day" because I programmed a lot.

Linking the UI to the player stats and done most of the interior walls code but...

I screwed it up by erasing more than 2 hours of work by restoring a backup instead of making it :(

So, I changed the name and I'll go to bed

Submitted

Day 6: The Doubt Day

I completely underestimated the creation of walls. This is an easy task in dungeon generator but much more complicated if you want to feel like rooms in a non square spaceship. I was not sure I could finish it.

Day 7: The Hope Day

After two different implemetations of the same wall algorithm, I finally did it... And realised that the room did not felt right in the ship.

I placed them regardless of the walk of the player and it felt wrong.

I than deleted 600 lines of code and restarted from scratch... I have now something that works.

It's not perfect but I have not the time to make it much better.

Submitted (1 edit)

Day 8: The Fed Up Day

I'm completely exhausted. I stupidly though I could sustain it 10 days doing as much work as I did for week-end jams.

I'm not even sure I could finish it on time or even if I want to finish it. Maybe after a night of sleep.

Submitted

Day 9: The Doubt Day 2

I have just one enemy and hogs hanging around... Not sure I could fit what's remaining  in tomorrow workday.

Day 10: The Crazy Day

I added many enemies but had no time for shooting enemies. I missed 2-3 hours. Since I'm working tomorrow I have to stop.

I added music, sound, a title screen and some loots.

Pretty happy to have something quite finished.

There some bug in it, but I can't fix them now. I hate that.

This was a pretty crazy adventure.